Dry puppy food recommendation please.

Kallibear

Visit site
My mother's current 1 year old lab is on Autukey Salmon and rice (after doing a bit of research) and is perfectly happy on it (she's a bit of a sensitive soul too).

She now has a second lab pup coming in April (born last week, soooo cute).

Could you recommend a good puppy food please? Needs to be readily available and not much more than £30 a big bag.

Breeder will send her home with Purina ProPlan: her vets has advised her it's an excellent diet :rolleyes:

My mum doesn't currently want to feed raw (Im working on it but she's vegetarian, no second freezer, no garden to feed it in, it's a bit of a hassle compared to a simple bag of dry food etc) but is slowly being schooled on what a good diet is so would like a decent diet for new pup until she can join Lily on the adult salmon.

Since Lily is on the Autukey Salmon she bought , not unreasonably, the chicken puppy version. Getting her to read the back of the packet is still a work in action ;)

It's still better than the ProPlan but after 35% chicken the next is maize (then chicken fat). After doing a bit of reading (inc that fab dog food index) it seems that any grain and cereal isn't great but, since it's unavoidable in the not-ridiculously-priced feeds, wheat is bad, maize is only a little better and rice and potato are kind of ok. Im going to go to pets at home to do some back-of-bag reading but anything to look out for (or to get the local feed store to order in for us) would be great, thanks.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I weaned Evies pups on Fish4Puppies, and kept Freya on it until she reached 9 months. Not the cheapest but imo an excellent food and all the litter have done really well on it.

Kallibear

Visit site
Thanks Toast: what's the breakdown like? The duck and rice seems good but the normal field and trial is full of cereal.

Thanks MM: I know fish4dogs etc is good but that is just far too expensive to justify!

Toast

Visit site
Chicken meat meal (min 30%), maize, chicken fat, white rice, oats, maize gluten meal, sunflower meal, whole linseed, beet pulp, whole dried egg, vitamins, minerals and trace elements, yeast, MOS.

Steeleye Span

Visit site
Simpsons do a grain free puppy food but it is £41 with free delivery

Ingredients:

Deboned Salmon*, Dried Salmon*, Potato, Sunflower Oil, Beet Pulp, Potato Protein, Dried Egg, Salmon Oil, Salmon Stock, Vitamins, Brewers Yeast, Minerals, Linseeds, Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), Fructooligosaccharides (FOS), Yucca Extract, Cranberries, Nucleotides, Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin.

Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols.

Analysis

Protein: 30% Oil: 16% Fibre: 2.5% Ash: 8.5%

competitiondiva

Visit site
Wafcol is excellent food, not the cheapest, but comparable and probably cheaper if you shop around online to diets with fish4. The salmon and potato, is a really really good diet, highly recommended and has had lovely results with my pup. You can get it for as cheap as £36-38 plus delivery, or free delivery if you buy 2 bags from monster pet supplies or value direct etc. Otherwise I was recommended the Arden grange diets?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-heal...pdated-dry-dog-food-index.html#post1062230195

Green=best, yellow=ok, red=avoid.
AUTARKY (chicken with rice, vegetables & herbs) RED

Price (15kg): £18.99
Suggested daily amount: 300g
Daily feeding cost: 37p

Ingredients: Maize, chicken meat meal (28%), rice, chicken fat, carrot and green leaf veg, (min 4%), whole linseed, beet pulp, prairie meal, mixed herbs and spices, yucca, yeast

AUTARKY (salmon dinner with rice, vegetables & herbs) YELLOW

Price (15kg): £25.50
Suggested daily amount: 190g
Daily feeding cost: 32p

Ingredients:Salmon (min 35%), rice (min 33%), oats, chicken fat, yeast, full-fat linseed, alfalfa, prairie meal, peas, unmolassed beet pulp, dicalcium phosphate, mannanoligosaccharides, milkthistle, marigold, mnettle, seaweed, blackcurrant extract, carrot, yucca extract, thyme, beetroot, tomato, peppermint, fennel, paprika, turmeric, dandelion, ginger, fenugreek, roesmary extract, oregano and aloe vera (min 0.4% herbs, min 4% vegetables).

Put the pup straight on adult food: puppy food is a marketing myth.

Last edited: