Duck, duck, duckity, duck

sarahann1

Visit site
Replace the Ds of that title with an F and it pretty much sums up how I'm feeling right now.

I lost my old lad Smartie on Tuesday, this is the first one of my own I've had to make the decision for and to be honest I've run out of tears and have moved into numb denial.

Yesterday morning, I had the vet out for my other old retired chap (27ish) and got the news it's really not looking good for him either. Hes been grumbly lame for the last few weeks, I was 90% certain it wasn't lami and thought possibly his navicular has, after years of being more or less sound with it and barefoot, taken a big turn for the worse, vet agrees.

He's had a Cushings test on the off chance it's lami, but his rock hard feet are hindering a reaction from hoof testers and there are no pulses anywhere so its unlikely.

Vet had said fairest thing at his age is to bute him up, turn him out and because of his size, if one bute a day doesn't give him enough relief the fairest thing would be to call it a day.

Gutted, I can't even cry, I'm totally numb, two going in one summer is just to much for me to comprehend.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
Nothing constructive to say but sending big hugs. It's soooooo hard when their time comes but you will do the right thing and they will know you love them x

Jnhuk

Visit site
It is so hard to do the right thing. I know so well how you are feeling but can't offer any advice but only offer hugs and sympathy. This is the worst thing about sharing your life with horses or any other animal (and human!)

It takes time and for me having other horses or being involved with other horses does help the grief but there are moments it still catches.

You will be so raw from Smartie just now so just big hugs and once again you will do the right thing at the right time for your other boy however hard that is, whenever that time is but I do so hope that you and he will have some time to enjoy the summer.

sarahann1

Visit site
Thanks all, the cushings results have come back and Jazz's levels are well within normal at 17, stupid to be gutted about that, but it was my last hope there was something fixable going on :(

touchstone

Visit site
I'm so sorry, for some reason with horses it always seems to be a case of it never rains but it pours. I hope the bute does the job for him, at 27 he's had a good life so if the worst comes to the worst then try to console yourself with this and that he's got an owner that will do the right thing for him.x