Dummies guide to BE

foxy1

Visit site
I fancy giving this eventing lark a go; I did a bit back in the day when pre novice was where you started but it looks like these days you get to start at 80 cm (thank goodness! )
I've had a google but can't find the answer:

How much does it cost to register a horse and rider?
How much does it cost to enter a 80 level event?
Is there anywhere online I can get a look at a dressage test of that level? Is it similar to a prelim?
Thanks in advance, from a confused show jumper :)

foxy1

Visit site
Thanks, I can't find it on there, maybe cos I'm on my phone. I'll have a look on the pc later.
Not sure I'll be a huge loss to BS hehe!
:D

Chiffy

Visit site
Be warned, Eventing is EXPENSIVE even at the lower levels. You can try it out 'on a ticket' though before you commit which saves a bit. Hope you have a go and get hooked like the rest of us poor souls! BE website is the way to go for all info.

FireFly29

Visit site
Hi,
The dressage tests are available to download for free. If you go to the box that says Quick Links next to the search box and then click on Downloads the BE tests are there. They are about prelim level.

Membership info is under Membership and then you click on the options down the left hand side of the screen.
You can buy day tickets and training tickets too.
:)

Darremi

Visit site
The costs are roughly:

Rider Membership: 130
Horse Membership: 100
BE 80: Maybe 60-70 per event?

You also pay a 10-15 "start fee" to the event on the day.

Javabb94

Visit site
You don't need to be a full member to compete at BE80 level.
First you need to register as an associate (free for horse and rider)
Then You just need a £10 day membership and this gets you a rule book etc

You can get compete at Be80 on training tickets which are £10 per event. You can do as many events on training tickets as you want, it's only 90-Nov where you can only do 4 per year on tickets.

Including training ticket it will costs between £77 - £90 roughly per event and that is taking into account start fee.

Dressage is easy prelim level same as BE90 all tests are on the downloads bit on BE website and in rule book

I've just started my first proper season and loving it :) yes it's expensive but I love doing it so much I skim past the price!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Once you register and get your Day Pass Membership, BE will send you a "guide to eventing" (or "getting started in eventing", it's called something like that) along with the handbook. It's really useful! Full of common sense tips, even down to make sure you remember to take cash to pay your start fee, info about medical armbands, really good list of things to remember to take for you, horse etc. I found it v useful!

I've done an 80 so far, another coming up then an UA 90, another BE80 and hopefully on to BE90s... Cost me £10 for my Day Pass Membership then I buy a training pass each time I want to compete. Then I have to pay my entry fee (Stafford cost me something like £60 plus the £15 start fee; Berriewood was around the £67 mark with a £13 start fee) plus start fee.

It IS expensive, no doubt, but I have got the bug now. Just means I have to save costs elsewhere in my life, such as basically having no social life!!