Dummy’s guide to electric fencing

Pc2003

Visit site
My yard has separate large paddocks of about 3 acres each, all electric fencing off the mains. However, people tend to turn the mains off whilst turning in/out and faffing with their fencing etc so throughout the day it’s probably off a lot and especially at the important times of bringing in. My 2 gate hang from 2 pm onwards and tonight they were last out and the yearling was practically sat on the fence as it wasn’t on. Hence a faff getting them in. So with spring on the way I want to look at electrifying my own strand as will need to strip graze at some point. How do I go about electrifying my own line of fence? Wouldn’t have it touching the main fence. More of an inner fence?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
depending on the length (and it does matter how many strands of wire are in your tape/rope etc) you will need a portable fencer. The smaller ones run of D cell batteries, then you get some that run off 9V replaceable PP8 batteries and some that run off a 12v rechargeable (leisure battery is better than car battery unless you can get those free, as they are designed to be run down).
Some of the 9v will also run off 12v which gives you options.
As well as length powered the output energy will differ. I think the hotline website has quite a handy 'recommender' they make v. good long lasting fencers but there are cheaper options - we have an old hotline and a newer mole valley ones as we run a track so have inner and outer fences and can't be bothered to run a lead across!

You need an earth, some come with their own stand which is usually sufficient in winter but in summer in the dry don't really go deep enough so a longer earth spike is recommended.

Then you clip the red crocodile clip to your fence, and the green one to your metal earth = works.

Pc2003

Visit site
depending on the length (and it does matter how many strands of wire are in your tape/rope etc) you will need a portable fencer. The smaller ones run of D cell batteries, then you get some that run off 9V replaceable PP8 batteries and some that run off a 12v rechargeable (leisure battery is better than car battery unless you can get those free, as they are designed to be run down).
Some of the 9v will also run off 12v which gives you options.
As well as length powered the output energy will differ. I think the hotline website has quite a handy 'recommender' they make v. good long lasting fencers but there are cheaper options - we have an old hotline and a newer mole valley ones as we run a track so have inner and outer fences and can't be bothered to run a lead across!

You need an earth, some come with their own stand which is usually sufficient in winter but in summer in the dry don't really go deep enough so a longer earth spike is recommended.

Then you clip the red crocodile clip to your fence, and the green one to your metal earth = works.

What about solar powered ones? Are they any good?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The fence isn't solar powered, it's battery powered but the battery is charged by solar power. So if you have a rechargeable battery, any battery powered fence energizer can use solar power. They work, you see a lot of electronic road signs powered by them these days.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site

Nudibranch

Visit site
I have an all in one energiser/panel. I wish I'd bought one years ago. So easy to use and so portable and it holds charge really well even in bad weather. Well worth a few quid extra to avoid multiple units/extra wires. I never have to think about changing/charging batteries. It runs up to 2km so good for tracks.

patseyr

Visit site
Some good advice given above, routine checking of portable fence systems are also very important to know when to change out the battery or if there is any damage to the line. A good investment is an electric fence tester and check the power going through the fence regularly.

I usually chose a point furthest from the fencer as this will let you know how much power is going through. Sometimes the wire in the ribbon can break or an earth can occur somewhere in the line so testing at the furthest point will tell you if there are any issues with the system/Fencer.

Pc2003

Visit site
I have an all in one energiser/panel. I wish I'd bought one years ago. So easy to use and so portable and it holds charge really well even in bad weather. Well worth a few quid extra to avoid multiple units/extra wires. I never have to think about changing/charging batteries. It runs up to 2km so good for tracks.
Could you point me in the direction for the type you have? Thanks

Landcruiser

Visit site