Dummy Foal

gallopingby

Visit site
there is a technique you can use to get them sucking, if you google you may find it, sorry don't have the link but its apparently successful, Was put up last year on one of the forums. Have you tried the foaling bank - there are brilliant with advice connected to foals? Put in 'dummy foal squeeze" or madigan technique - there are u tube videos of it! good luck.

Last edited:

Lisa2manyponies

Visit site
Well we did the rope trick he stood up 5 mins later wondered over to mum a has now had his first proper feed sitting in the stable now watching him having a good drink breathing a sigh of relief just need him to pee now !

Colivet

Visit site
so glad to hear it seems to have worked - I hadn't read the previous response properly so didn't realise you already knew about the squeeze - hope baby continues to improve

Enfys

Visit site
Well we did the rope trick he stood up 5 mins later wondered over to mum a has now had his first proper feed sitting in the stable now watching him having a good drink breathing a sigh of relief just need him to pee now !

Fingers crossed that he continues to drink and goes on to thrive.

I wish we had known about the 'squeeze' when our dummy was born, we did not have a happy ever after ending.

popsdosh

Visit site
Never had to try it with horses ! with the calves when they wont suck we use a Mars bar(yes) melted into milk in a bottle to get the suck reflex going usually a small amount by stomach tube first its like magic. If you buy the double ones you get a bonus as well.

Actually just viewed the video that is the same technique thats been used well back into time to cast fully grown cattle and horses when they have needed treatment laying down.

Last edited:

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I've only had one Dummy foal. He was comatose for 7 days - and had hourly massages, propping up, dribbles of milk, with a few iv drips and tubings along the way. Day 8 he jumped to his feet and started sucking. He's 10 now - I still keep in touch with him - and the amazing thing about him is he has NEVER put a foot wrong since the first 7 days (he learnt the hard way that he wasn't allowed to die - great lesson in obedience, lol.)