Dung Smell After Colic

proctorclaire

Visit site
My Arab mare colicked last month and ended up in vet hospital. Her digestive system shut down and as a result got secondary impactions. After drugs and IV fluids it kick started and impactions cleared. She then developed an infection at the catheter site and was on antibiotics. She came home and her dung was smelling so strong and cow patty like. Less than 2 weeks later she colicked again and back to hospital. This time colon displacement. No IV fluids needed and went back into place on its own. Vets have no idea what causing the colic episodes. Still fighting infection in her neck and changed antibiotics. She is back home and her dung still smells so strong but are better formed than before. Is this normal after digestive shut downs and also combination of antibiotics for dung to change smell? Wondering if anyone has something similar happen before. I have of course asked vets and waiting to hear from them.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes and I was recommended by my vet to feed a big pot of live yoghurt in every feed.

I hope yours is better soon.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
We once had a pony that was prone to both colic and laminitis. His droppings were sniffed every time we cleaned up after him as they would smell sour before he coliced, caught in time we could alter his diet and prevent the colic, but risk the laminitis.