Dustbins for feed storage

Chex

Visit site
Does anyone know where I can get plastic dustbins for storing feed? I have looked everywhere I can think of - DIY stores, hardware stores, big W etc. Not sure if they make them any more, what with most people having wheeliebins these days. Only place I'd thought I'd seen them was poundstretcher and that was ages ago
frown.gif
and can't park around the nearest one (and not carrying them on the bus
blush.gif
). I saw the tackshop had some, but they were sooooooooooo expensive!

Or does anyone have any other ways of storing feed? I have dustbins just now, but they're cracked and minging
frown.gif

K9Wendy

Visit site
B&Q outdoor gardening section, up high above the compost bins, facing the wheel barrows!! Well at least that is where they are in all the B&Q's I've been to! Some tackshops & feed stores sell them, as so local hardware stores.

Chex

Visit site
Ah, last time I was there the outdoor bit was closed (think it was the extreme winds) so that might of been why I didn't see them! Will need to go for another trip me thinks

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried local hardware stores????

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a look, had kitchen bins and huge plastic ones. Also saw metal ones for £20, a little pricey!

Salcey

Visit site
I use a polycarbonate coal bunker. I have to keep it in the barn with the horses as I haven't got a seperate area. Its absolutely great I get 1 bag of hifi lite, i of nuts, i of speedie beat and all the supplements in it.

Tia

Visit site
I have large bins which look a bit like the Grit containers you get at the side of the road for the ice. They are made from plastic composite and are very tough.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Shame your not closer, i have 2 that i only used for about a month and then moved to a yard with metal boxes.

Think i got mine from the B&Q garden bit as well though

Chex

Visit site
lol, they sell cheap wheelie bins in Costco, didn't think I'd be able to reach feed at the bottom of the bin without falling in though!

Thanks everyone
grin.gif
will have a look at B&Q again, or might just get a bigger container and leave the feed in bags, might be easier actually. Thanks again

TequilaMist

Visit site
We used to use an old big chest freezer(seal taken off of corse),just put bags in.Never had prob with rats as they couldn't get in -well I never found one!
grin.gif

Sooty

Visit site
We got ours from Wilkinsons, they were about £5 I think and not too heavy to carry. We also got a secondhand chest freezer to store unopened feed sacks in. Not from Wilkinsons though...

Chex

Visit site
Thanks, will have a look. I went back to B&Q and they had none, went to Homebase and they had some, but the lids didn't even fit on them! I will carry on with my search!

jemima

Visit site
Just a suggestion but we use old four drawer metal filing cabinets. A sack of feed fits neatly in each drawer, the "footprint" is very small and if you get one with a key it's very handy for keeping things you might not want other people to get their hands on.