Dutch Warmblood - registration letters

tuscanyD

Visit site
I have been informed that DWB mares are given a registration letter for the year they are born. Anyone know if this is true?

I was told that my mare is a DWB x TB - by Catherston Dambuster and is 19.

But her name is Dominque and a source recently told me that D was the registration letter for 1985 - making her 21!

I don't have her papers - she was originally a loan horse but turned out to have serious physio issues that prevent her from jumping or acute movements in dressage - I rang owner and left a message 4 years ago to discuss it with her - never heard from her again!

vic07

Visit site
I think all dutch warmbloods have a name which begins with the letter correlating with their year of birth. Don't know what year is what though!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
oo thats interesting, never knew that. blonde moment here but are these the same as KWPN's??
We had a KWPN with papers but the papers did not match her on the database and so the people we sold her too to breed from now have no idea her breeding!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
sorry, even blonder moment - whats a KWPN !?

[/ QUOTE ]

Koeningklik Warmbloed Pardenstamboek Nederlands

(Or something very similar
tongue.gif
)

Basically, the *correct* term for Dutch Warmblood.

Isn't DWB for Danish Warmbloods though
crazy.gif

KWPN letters were 'R' for 1998, and 'T' for 2000, so assuming no letters were missed out, a 'D' name would have been foaled in 1984
smile.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
KWPN is the official name of the studbook that regulates the breeding and resistration of Dutch Warmblood horses. KWPN=registered dutch warmblood.

Officially registered KWPNs are named for the year of their birth. So, for example, a horse born in 2001 will have a name starting with "U". KWPN does not brand like other warmblood studbooks - only horses approved with preferent or keur status get branded (I think). If your horse has not been registered with KWPN at birth, her name will not reflect her birth year. You could contact them with her details and see if they can trace her on their files.

More info at KWPN home page

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I thought DWB's were danish warmbloods and dutch warmbloods were KWPN's.

Our KWPN had the brand mark which made it more annoying when it was found that the papers were all wrong!

tuscanyD

Visit site
Thanks lots of information here that I didn't know - I don't take a lot of interest in breeding to be honest but I'm keen to find out how old my poor old troutface is.

Guess the place to start is check what breed Dambuster is [was?] and go from there - I believe the mare's owner had regular lessons with Jennie Loristen-Clarke and JLC used yhe mare as a student horse for 2 years when her owner was abroad - so its possible she was registered - her owner did mention papers when I first met her.

Prudence

Visit site
I'm sure that if you contact Jennie's Stud Secretary, Fiona Boyne, she will be more than happy to help you if she can. You can but ask eh!

dieseldog

Visit site
All KWPNs born in a certiain year names have to start in a certain year 1996 is O reg.

Interestingly though the name does not have to be unique, there are about nine Olympics - my horses name, and last year KWPN of the year was a horse called Manno, I used to have a KWPN registered as Manno and it wasn't him.

KWPN no longer brand their horses as it is illegal to do so in Holland, however a KWPN bred in any other country which is also registered in an affliated Stud book (such as the US or Scotland) can still brand them.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Guess the place to start is check what breed Dambuster is [was?] and go from there

[/ QUOTE ]

That won't necessarily tell you what studbook your horse is registered with though
tongue.gif
My two KWPN's both have Selle Francais sires. It just means the sire is 'approved' by the KWPN studbook. The dam is more likely to influence the studbook your horse is registered with
smile.gif

SJFAN

Visit site
Incidentally the same holds true for Belgiam warmbloods e.g. names of horses foaled in 1987 begin with K, and Selle Francais e.g. names of horses foaled in 1990 begin with C.

tuscanyD

Visit site
Her dam was a TB apparently - but I did see a picture of her and she was quite a poor looking specmen it has to be said!

Someone suggested my mare was therfore half royalty and half pikey!

Have emailed Fiona thingy at Catherston - wil let you know what, if anything, I get back!

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Dambuster was registered with the BWBS as was Dutch Courage, his sire.

My top horse, Torrent, is by Dambuster out of a TB mare by River Poaching and is registered with the SHB(GB).

So although there is Dutch Warmblood there, there is no certainty that your mare would have KWPN papers and would therefore not nec. have her name starting with the 'letter of the year'.

Catherston Dambuster was by Dutch Courage out of Cedola, who was by Commandeur out of Redola.

I believe he was put down aged 9 after an accident at home resulted in a broken hock.
frown.gif

jackpalfreyman

Visit site
I would also like to add that although KWPN have a letter registration system for each year of registration....there will have been letters missed out (as in car number plates) so it might be out of sync...and as she is by catherston dumbuster meaning she is bred in england, i would think that she wouldnt have been registered with KWPN......

vixhampton

New User
Visit site
hi i have dutch warm blood and he was born in the year 2000 and his name is 'T'. i've heard this is true from a few people, so maybe you could work backwards to the year.

lizstuguinness

Visit site
works for me, my mare was born in 2002 and is called virama.

also just coz you know your mare as "D" doesnt mean she was registered as a "D", if you dont have papers then you dont know her registered name.

until i got used to my mares name i did concider changing it, but it kind of suits her now and being orgianal everyone enquires about her.

vanessahook

Visit site
My mare is sired by a trakehner out of a dutch warmblood. She only has part bred trakehner papers but interestingly on her mother's side all fillies born had to be given a name ending "ia" so her mum is called Etriania and my mare is called Fantasia.
Im thinking that as your hore is not pure bred KWPN the name thing may not apply.

tuscanyD

Visit site
Thanks for all this info - especially the info on Dambuster - I did email the BWBS lady last week actually without knowing he was registered with them.
As I said earlier I've emailed the Catherston stud to see if they can help and what they might be able to tell me about her - will update you if I get anything back.