Dye for white patch (scar) on chestnut horse?

rubyrumba

Visit site
Should i use human hair dye? If so, do people dye their hair ginger???
She has quite a large white patch, just a bit bigger than a 50p just above her point of hock from bandages rubbing her after OCD surgery. I want to dye it for showing purposes!

This is her so you can see what shade of chestnut she is, can't imagine anyone would dye their hair that colour!

Alsoposted in NL but very helpful people also in breeding!

Simsar

Visit site
Please don't dye it! It won't matter for showing. If anything use the water from old T bags. in a jar for a few days.

rubyrumba

Visit site
Why not dye it Simsar? Itis quite a large patch and obviously not meant to be there! Good news, they do make ginger hair dye!!

Simsar

Visit site
Oh yes, people do dye their hair Ginger! I have been doing so since Lulu came on the scene with her hair, I was about 2 years old at the time!!!!!!!!

Hello my little ginger friend how is that fab horse of yours. xxxxxxx

Why not dye it Simsar? Itis quite a large patch and obviously not meant to be there! Good news, they do make ginger hair dye!!

Because although tested on bunnies not mean't for horses!

Tan boot polish.

Agree with Simsar to not dye as it will go brittle and she'll possibly react to the chemicals anyway.

Liking the boot polish how genius! Simple MFH, no not simple MFH because she isn't but simple MFH! sorry been a long day. xxxx

ritajennings

Visit site
My daughter is a hairdresser, and she has told me that horse hair (coat) is not the same as ours something to do with the pores and our hair dye would not work the same. Do not know if this is true as never tried it but the boot polish sounds a good idea.
Your little ginger friend and her big brown horse are both very well x

Durham

Visit site
If you have time to experiment, Champion Tails Maximum Effect is a "colour enhancer" designed for horses and it can apparently be used undliuted to colour the coat. They do it in brown and chestnut. It might be worth trying it, to minimise the white before touching up with makeup if you need to.

I agree that Supreme products are excellent, but I have never used their makeup to cover marks on an area as prominent as a hock and would be sllightly phobic about a judge running their hand down the horse's leg and noticing it.

I have a Sec C filly with patches of roaning at the withers and at the top of the tail which were definitely covered with some sort of colourant when we bought her at the sales - the white was invisible until we shampooed her ourselves some time later, when it suddenly appeared!! So I've done some research about dyes for myself and have bought a bottle, but haven't got round to trying Champion Tails out yet. I am not so sure that I'll bother now, as our girl is roaning up much more all over as her summer coat has come in.