early August Weekend Plans!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Who has plans?
forecast here has gone a bit gloomy here but I suppose at least i won't have to water the garden.

Not much on here, ticking along with training. had a great lesson yesterday and got both thumbs up for the work we've been doing on passage and piaffe, much relief from me because although it felt like we were going the right way i had somehow got myself convinced that trainer would say otherwise. Anyway, we produced the best so far of both and have some good ideas for how to develop this further.

Totally chuffed to be over the worst of the passage hump at last, as this really knocked us off the rails last autumn and then she was poorly all winter. i had really been dreading getting back to it but the break did us both good. Tons to do but it feels achievable now :D

if it stays reasonably dry i will continue pottering with 3yo, no big rush as he's still a weed but I'd like to get him used to the idea of skool this summer.

hope everyone has a good weekend :)

cobtastic pic to kick off

231613460_4569967423014732_7951676234738291620_n.jpg

sportsmansB

Visit site
That's wonderful to get a breakthrough MP, and the reassurance from the powers that be that it really is progress :)

We are in the middle of thunderstorm warnings here, so while I've managed to get a weekend off scoring the events and have entered for Sat- if the forecast is still as bad I'll not be running. People think I'm soft for being a fair weather eventer- but to be honest neither me nor the horse enjoy it in really bad weather, so if its horrendous I'll be w/d. He spends the whole time shaking the rain out of his ears in ever more violent ways, and I spend the whole time whinging.

On the bright side, having entered I've had some good training sessions this week which I find harder to push at without a competition soon - so we jumped yesterday and practiced the dressage today. If nothing else thats been fun :)

Asha

Visit site
Sounds amazing MP, letting them have a break really can do them a power of good. Our 4yo has just had a break and the difference in him is amazing. He actually told me he was ready to start work again ( he got very agitated when we tacked the other up,so took his bridle over and he put his nose right in!

Im doing my first dressage comp since last year, so looking forward to that,and daughter is doing some arena eventing too

Good luck to everyone who is out and about.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Glad to here your progress is going in the right direction MP.

And Sportsman I hope the weather holds out for you!

We were supposed to be away in the campervan this week, but some expensive mechanical issues have postponed that trip ? But my week off isn’t going to be fruitless - as thanks to some very helpful HHO suggestions earlier in the week I’ve managed to nab a spot at the Somerford Camp this weekend. ?

It’s amazing what’s out there when you know where to look!

It’ll be Pod’s first time away and we’re going it alone, so trying to mega prepared, so it’s easy once we’re there.

Today, has so far consisted of pressure washing anything that isn’t tied down, in an effort to get the lorry’s horse area clean enough for me to inhabit for the weekend. ?

Hope everyone else has a good weekend planned ?

Roxylola

Visit site
I'm entered for the unaffiliated 80 at cholmondeley. Hoping it doesn't rain _too_ much. We've got storm weather warnings too so I'm not hugely optimistic it will go well, but we have our studs, we've done some training in them and somerford last week had the decency to have some darker "muddy" bits which we managed ok. Course looks good it's the same as the BE last weekend which is good in some ways just hoping that doesn't mean it's all cut up or I shall probably end up with refusals ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Aw training sounds fab!

I actually have some riding plans this week after a couple of weeks with nothing. Hacking with RS tomorrow morning, which I am excited/bit nervous about. It's a canter hack, which I haven't done in a really long time, but want to push myself a bit and see if it can help with confidence. I did make some progress with hacking when I had share horse but also some of this was undone with some less than helpful experiences and I really want to be able to move on from those. Especially as I'm then hacking out again after with my friend (feeling spoilt with two hacks in one day!)

Off to Stoneleigh to watch another friend jumping on Saturday, driving up with the horse's owner and looking forward to the road trip and being part of the excitement we've all got for it :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Am gloomily looking at a rather wet forecast here for Saturday, am allegedly doing a sj comp.
Haven't popped a sj in ages, been unable to get arena hire with jumps this week, this since local coach blew out my long booked sj lesson for this morning last week. Not sure if I'll trek out or not yet.

MP lovely cobtastic pic ?
Good luck to those competing, enjoy whatever you are doing x

j1ffy

Visit site
Great news MP!! Enjoy the camp GG!
I hope everyone doesn't get too soggy this weekend. I think we've skipped straight into Autumn...

More hacking and a little schooling for me and Chilli. I just took him in the school for 15 minutes and he was much more settled, despite rain and wind and fallen-over jumps, so that bodes well.

Sunday will be Chilli's first time going somewhere new in the lorry (well, aside from going to Spain last year..!). We're taking surrogate-Uncle Pocholo and his loaner to go hacking with real-Uncle Indio and his loaner ? I can't wait. We're planning to go through the Letcombe Bassett cressbeds, so Chilli's first time going through water. Hopefully I don't get a dunking!

I also can't wait for Pocholo and Indio to see each other again as they were best buddies for many years and on three different yards.

TheMule

Visit site
My plans involve enjoying the stubble fields on Saturday and then Nova has a jump lesson through the riding club on Sunday. He has had a quiet 3 weeks since his little xc experience so I think he will be quite jolly about it!

Edited to add a mule picture. Because…. Why not?!
7CE7A282-713D-4FE0-9AE8-6A33A6648546.jpeg

Last edited:

Sheep

Visit site
You off to Vesey, SB?
Fence judging there is the height of my plans, though if the forecast is right I can see it being rained off.

No big plans here, if weather behaves on Sunday I will probably have a jumping session at the yard and possibly take a spin into our little xc field.

Stupid question for those more knowledgeable than I. Our arena has a little drop into the jumping paddock, probably a max of about 50cms. What can I do with it to help increase his confidence on drop fences, bearing in mind drops at EI90 can be 1m+? Obviously we are aiming to train offsite as well but just thinking about what we can do at home!

Bernster

Visit site
It does need more pictures ? can’t oblige as I rarely remember to take pics or videos. Another great lesson last night. We’re working on flying changes which we’re finding tricky as Finnegan is very good now at counter canter and I’m stuck through my left side, but we cracked it yesterday. Also did some lovely pole work, have been trying hard to not ‘squash’ the canter over poles and finally managed to ride them properly. The quality of the canter we got as a result was lovely. Finnegan just needs me to stop interfering and allow him to move properly ?

Back is twinging so a day off today. We’ll pop a wee jump tomorrow if my back feels ok. I keep forgetting to jump durrr. I need to do it regularly or I lose what little bottle I have.

Had a go at long lining Bertie as part of his physio work, not sure either of us know what to do but he got it in the end. His balance in the school is improving and we’ve had lots of little improvements which is encouraging.(he’s fine, it’s just part of his normal physio and trying to help his flatwork).

Roxylola

Visit site
I'm dreadful at long lining Bernster - I've started multiple youngsters without ever doing it because I'm more likely to make a hash and end up in a knot!
Gratuitous poor quality pic from last Thursday as we do indeed more pics here

Attachments

• received_4565910263439245.jpeg
    received_4565910263439245.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 15

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Was meant to be going XC schooling Saturday but my ground crew plan has just fallen through, so might have to cancel ???

am not at a stage where I’m happy to take Pepsi without someone else in case I come off….

have the saddle fitter coming for both boys tomorrow and suspect she’s going to say Henry’s GP is too long for Pepsi so resigned to spending the dollar for a new saddle ??

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I organised grassroots training for this weekend which has been horrendous - never again. Normally I do not run any training below 90cm but this time did 50cm-90cm and people have messed around chronically. I find the lower the level rider, the more they mess people about.

Tomorrow we are running Style jumping before the training and I think I am writing for it. I might take a horse to jump a couple of rounds as have 20 mins before the training commences. I have made a provisional plan for the grey horse so she is going xc schooling on Sunday to check the brakes and rideability and then is slowly being entered for some events. She can now jump over a 90cm oxer and do sharp 4 strides turning line to another 90cm oxer without running off, overjumping and ignoring the half halt in both directions.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Well, not much.

I did some loading practice with friends horse today so we can possibly trailer to some hacking together. Her horse has a history of questionable loading and hasn't done it in a few years, but got on quite relaxed within a few minutes/my third attempt. Friend was amazed ? so that bodes well for future trips.

Looks like a wet weekend, so will probably be spent in the school. Wanted to get in to ride with a instructor I tried a few weeks ago and loved, but the spots filled up, so no room for me. Maybe next time. I think our suppling work is paying off. Left half pass is really great, right is improving. Changes are improving. So will continue on with that. Can't get over how easily he's been collecting. So light about it, off of my body seat. Finally some work pays off ?

Physio on Monday. Will be interesting to see what she says/how he feels since the last appointment and with the new saddle.

Widgeon

Visit site
We're planning a nice long hack tomorrow - currently watching the weather forecast like a hawk as none of us *really* fancy twelve miles of getting soaked in the woods! If that doesn't come off we'll probably do the same as Mule and enjoy the stubble while the farmers aren't on it. SMB is right - it's supposed to be fun isn't it!

People think I'm soft for being a fair weather eventer- but to be honest neither me nor the horse enjoy it in really bad weather, so if its horrendous I'll be w/d. He spends the whole time shaking the rain out of his ears in ever more violent ways, and I spend the whole time whinging.

sportsmansB

Visit site
You off to Vesey, SB?
Fence judging there is the height of my plans, though if the forecast is right I can see it being rained off.

No big plans here, if weather behaves on Sunday I will probably have a jumping session at the yard and possibly take a spin into our little xc field.

Stupid question for those more knowledgeable than I. Our arena has a little drop into the jumping paddock, probably a max of about 50cms. What can I do with it to help increase his confidence on drop fences, bearing in mind drops at EI90 can be 1m+? Obviously we are aiming to train offsite as well but just thinking about what we can do at home!

Yes off to Vesey for me, I really want to ride as the entries for next week at necarne will be high so I said I would score- but my horse doesn't like much mud and I definitely don't like being soaked so we'll see.
I don't think it will be rained off as the ground should be able to take plenty after the dry spell, but it might be rained off for me! My dressage isn't until after 11.30 and its to get progressively worse through the day :-(
Does your horse have an issue at drops, or are you just pre-empting training needs?

Sprat

Visit site
Absolutely bugger all here. Was supposed to be at Onley for AF’s but we’ve had a field injury (due to a pig ignorant gelding who has no respect for fencing).
Vets this morning to see what the damage is ☹️ Poor girl is feeling quite sorry for herself

Attachments

• 0E0A215C-E09E-4588-AF88-826CC733539A.jpeg
    0E0A215C-E09E-4588-AF88-826CC733539A.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 3ACC0EDC-4709-48A8-BCB7-D07C75DCC3F5.jpeg
    3ACC0EDC-4709-48A8-BCB7-D07C75DCC3F5.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 17
  • DD04B6AB-E2EC-4F66-8F48-0CCC66957C4E.jpeg
    DD04B6AB-E2EC-4F66-8F48-0CCC66957C4E.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 17

J_sarahd

Visit site
Not much for us this weekend at all. We are off hacking tomorrow with two of the girls from the yard. We’ve been trying to arrange this hack for ages but something always crops up. There’s apparently a lovely long stretch to have a decent canter which is what I have been craving for ages! I’m just hoping the cows aren’t in the field we have to walk through.

Then, if the weather is alright on Sunday, I might have a pop at home. Not to work on anything in particular, just to have a bit of fun.

Alibear

Visit site
Oh, Sprat, I'm so sorry; I hope it's nothing too serious. Like others, the weather looks questionable for the weekend, but the good news is the new indoor school is opening this evening :) It could be perfect timing.
I need to work more on our lope and simple changes over the weekend; the lope quality isn't really good enough, making the change unbalanced and rushed. But she's 5, so we have time, and a better rider can do them easily on her, so as ever, it's me that really needs to improve. That requires practice, which is what I will do. Weather and company permitting, it would be nice to get a hack in as well to keep building her confidence out and about. Plus, a loading test wouldn't go amiss. There's so much to do with youngsters it's never-ending.
My instructor is competing over the weekend, so the lesson is on Monday evening, which will be a nice start to the week and hopefully will be able to give me some tips on the changes.Amber chilling in outdoor school August 21 cropped.jpg

Chippers1

Visit site
Local show again for me, just going to go round the WH, it's 75cm so am a little bit eek but we can definitely do it so just got to kick on! Looking at the forecast though I am wondering about how I'm going to clean him....
We also have stubble fields around us at the moment which the farmer very kindly lets us on so been for a few zoomies around them too.
I don't have any recent horsey pics but I got a hamster last weekend if anyone wants to see a picture of him?! :D

Sprat

Visit site
Thanks for the well wishes all. Vet has been and thankfully it does look superficial, albeit very swollen and grim. Antibiotics, bute and a few days of box rest with a review into early next week. Vet has also said she will write me a note for the venue so I may be able to get some money back for my entry which would be welcomed.

j1ffy

Visit site
Chippers1 - yes please
Sprat - phew!! Good news

As people want more photos, I got a couple of Chilli today. It’s not easy as he pretty much wants to be touching me the whole time ?

He was a bit muddy…

DC1CF3F7-6AC4-4695-ACFD-C11927E63F04.jpeg
But handsome when clean! And he’s not sideways in real life ?
538C2D13-0588-4CD3-ACDB-9EF3256A8687.jpeg
ETA slightly better photo, albeit fuzzy
3C6737F9-139D-46D8-928A-E6EF73D54754.jpeg

Last edited: