Earplugs.....?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm really just curious what people's thoughts/experiences/motivations are with using earplugs on horses for competition, hacking, or just general schooling?

I've never used them, it's never even really occurred to me if I'm honest - I know that they are used fairly extensively in showing, particularly where there's a ride judge involved, but I've noticed them being used all over the place recently and am curious.

Sophire

Visit site
I've worked on a few SJ yards where they're used for competition on certain horses all the way up to one mare who was ridden with them every time. I've never felt the need to ride any of mine in them but they certainly have their place.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I've worked on a few SJ yards where they're used for competition on certain horses all the way up to one mare who was ridden with them every time. I've never felt the need to ride any of mine in them but they certainly have their place.

That's interesting - why were they chosen to be used for some horses? Was it after training/desensitisation had not improved their response or because their personality indicated that they needed them or.....?

blood_magik

Visit site
I use them on one of mine. He hates the tannoy systems used at shows so I use a combo of foam earplugs and a veil with neoprene ears to muffle the sound when out jumping.

Shay

Visit site
Its usually done to muffle sound - particularly for indoor shows where music and commentary can echo. I can't really see any reason to use them hacking though. Might you have seen fly veils and assumed there are also plugs underneath? Fly veils seem to be this years fashion accessory!

Sophire

Visit site
That's interesting - why were they chosen to be used for some horses? Was it after training/desensitisation had not improved their response or because their personality indicated that they needed them or.....?

I think mainly for the sharp ones who are going to react to the noise/ atmosphere and need to keep focused on their job. The horse ridden in them all the time even at home was an American girl but I didn't ever actually ask the reason why.

Also I personally wouldn't wear them out hacking, I want my horse to be able to hear what's happening around her. If I'm on the road and a bus/ lorry is going to come past, I want her to hear it and be prepared. She's not necessarily the type to spook at a noise, so I guess that helps too, but I think even if she were to.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Its usually done to muffle sound - particularly for indoor shows where music and commentary can echo. I can't really see any reason to use them hacking though. Might you have seen fly veils and assumed there are also plugs underneath? Fly veils seem to be this years fashion accessory!

Yes true, veils are a popular accessory atm. No, not an assumption, just know a few people who use them habitually, mainly because the horse naps without them apparently, so I suspect it is more of a placebo effect for the rider in that circumstance, but I did wonder whether others may have found a genuine reason training-wise to use them.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
We use them occasionally on film sets if there are wind machines or other noisy distractions going on. Would I use them in training? Probably not; if the horse was that whacky I wouldn't be trying to train it.