Ears ....

stormox

Visit site
Could someone explain why so many horses have coloured ear covers (or is there a better name) on these days? Even for hacking? Are all ear covers the same? I never saw them until about 10 years ago now it seems every horse I meet has coloured ears....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Makes mine a bit less spooky/easier to maintain their attention, particularly if it's windy. plus in summer keeps the flies out :)

Reacher

Visit site
No Idea(r) (haha)
Fashion?
My horse has aural plaques from midges bites presumably and I've contemplated getting some -- will probably cannibalize a tatty fly mask with ears

Pippity

Visit site
I wear brightly-coloured ones when hacking to make us a bit more visible. I can never get the actual hi-viz ones to stay put, which is annoying. In summer, they have the added bonus of keeping insects out of her ears. (It's the same reason she wears a fly mask in the field. Flies tend not to bother her eyes too much, but her ears get crusty and sore really quickly.)

In the school, it's flies again in summer. In winter, it's to cover up the mind-boggling amount of mud she manages to cake around her ears...

And I do tend to match them to her saddlecloth, because why not? (Well, I tend to match in the school. I don't really bother when hacking, because the saddlecloth is usually covered by hi-viz.)

milliepops

Visit site
Do people who use them to keep noise out and make horses less spooky find their horses are less able to hear the riders voice too?
No, i think it's just not having the wind whistling past that makes the difference with mine, i only use thin ones not the acoustic ones.
it had the biggest effect with one with very bad aural plaques, he was so sensitive about his ears. i use my voice a lot in training.

Reacher

Visit site
We have bright orange ones for going one particular route as his hi viz! A local event rider did ask if we competed for Holland.....
Did you say yes?

Actually the hi viz aspect is a good point. Even though horse wears a wide yellow VBandz chest band I am not sure how visible horse is from the front if I were to come off etc

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
There is definitely a fashion matchy matchy element now but were originally used as “fly bonnets” and I’ve used them to stop flies irritating the ears. I’ve found though that my bridle on my old boy falls off too easily if he wears them unless it’s one with string under the jaw tying it on.

Pippity

Visit site
There is definitely a fashion matchy matchy element now but were originally used as “fly bonnets” and I’ve used them to stop flies irritating the ears. I’ve found though that my bridle on my old boy falls off too easily if he wears them unless it’s one with string under the jaw tying it on.

Mine will keep hers on during the hack, but as soon as we're through the gate and home, it's *shakeshakeshake* until it comes off!

crazyandme

Visit site
I had hi viz pink ones on Reg as we had a fair bit of busy roadwork to get to the bridleways and wanted to help increase our chances of being seen. Thankfully never lost our bridle though and it didn't stop him from being a prat in windy weather when the mood took him, but they were very thin material

Casey76

Visit site
In France, where we were, we were plagued by tiny black biting flies which would beeline for the ears, so I’d use a fly veil in order to get any sense out of my ponies while they were ridden. They would also wear fly masks with ears in the field. Nothing worse than a distracted horse on the road.

milliepops

Visit site
Nothing worse than a distracted horse on the road.
so much this! and you can't get a decent contact in the school if they are flicking their heads around.
I do like matching mine to a saddle pad if I'm going to use them but it's the function that is the point, the matchy is a bonus.

Tho I've mainly ridden indoors so far this year so haven't unpacked them from the autumn.

AFB

Visit site
I use as fly veils, mine gets upset about flies around his ears.

The ones I have are matchy but I don't use them as matchy - only in summer when needed.

ecb89

Visit site
I’ve started using the le Mieux acoustic ears for my spooky boy. I think they have helped. Down one side of our school is a line of conifers where killer pigeons like to lurk. He seems much less bothered by then flapping around.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
No Idea(r) (haha)
Fashion?
My horse has aural plaques from midges bites presumably and I've contemplated getting some -- will probably cannibalize a tatty fly mask with ears

Mine had them from stress. Kept shaking his head while hacking and doing fats work. The wind was irritating them.
Ears stopped it.

Birker2020

Visit site
I wish I'd had some ear covers when I was at the Trailblazers final at Stoneleigh Showground with my previous horse Rommy. After qualifying I was so looking forward to having a shot at the course. As soon as I unloaded him he started shaking his head, there was obviously something in his ears. I spent the next hour examining his ears trying to find out what was bothering him, he constantly shook his head, it was driving us both crazy.

This progressed into the warm up. It was so frustrating. When you spend so long trying to qualify for something and then twice as long waiting for the 'big day' to come only to find that on the approach to the first fence your horse can barely stay upright its shaking his head so much. Inevitably we had the first fence down.

By the time we'd finished the course the headshaking had stopped. Typical!

Dexter

Visit site
I like them and they way they look. I wear bright ones for hacking on the road, which helps with visibility, but mainly its that I like them

Kaylum

Visit site
Flies when we had a tack shop 25 years ago we were selling them so they aren't particularly new. We even had different colours and sewed gold thread through them.

Griffin

Visit site
Acoustic ears are really useful of you need to clip a horse that hates the clipper noise, they just take the edge off the sound.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I have high vis ears. They are good on narrow country lanes as cars see us earlier. Downside is they get sweaty, would like a set in a different material. They also get a lot of comments from walkers and cyclists, most common is complimenting the horses hat ;).