Easi bed??

Roany-pony

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has used Easi bed ? I am going to change my gee gee from shavings to another similar bedding this winter and was just after some recomendations.Thanks in advance.x
grin.gif

JAK

Visit site
We use Easibed!
smile.gif

Poo pick daily & dig it out & change it once a week in winter & once a fortnight this time of year, when they're coming in much later!

Stays in place well, soaks up lots of wee, top stays nice & dry, non-slippery surface, relatively soft & comfy to lie on, keeps pongs at bay, minimal dust & doesn't blow around like shavings do if it's windy!

Main disadvantage is when you do come to dig it out, it weighs an absolute ton, seriously heavy work!

Roany-pony

Visit site
Thank you that is so helpful.I went on the website to have a alook and it sounded great but doesn't everything when they are advertising!!
Just a couple more questions if thats ok with you,
My stable doesn't have proper drainage do you think that would make a big difference or not?
And how many bales to you tend to use a week?
I have a 12x12 stable with rubber matting down but still put a large bed down.
Thanks for replying,I am so fed up of having shaving that say they are dust extracted and aren't!!
grin.gif

sojeph

Visit site
I use easi-bed when required (not often) but I love it. I find it really easy to maintain. As above poo pick daily and take out the wet once a week.

Roany-pony

Visit site
Its so nice to be able to ask people who have used it before I fork out for 40+ bales!!lol.
Do either of you have problems getting it?
Do you just get it from local feed merchant?

JAK

Visit site
Our stables don't have any actual drainage either but I have not found this to be a problem tbh! (Though it would be nice!) I don't use mats though, just Easibed straight onto concrete!

LBO is old & smelly, Fat Orange One rolls like a fiend in his stable & Cob Blob is a filthy troll but it copes with them ok! LOL
I don't normally need to top it up as such usually & when I dig 'em out, say once a fortnight, LBO & Fat Orange One have 3 new bales & stinky CB 5 or 6, depending how mucky it is! (The latter 2 have huge stables btw!)

Get it from local agricultural merchants usually, though one of the local tack shops sells it too! It's about £5.49 a bale I think!
smile.gif

Irishcobs

Visit site
Same as Jak and Sojeph. Poo pick every day, wet once a week.
I have huge stables 25x15ft, and it takes 10 bales to make a nice deep bed to start with and about half a bale a week when the wet comes out. I don't have proper drainage either and it doesn't effect the bedding at all. Both my cobs are grotty b*ggers too.

Nari

Visit site
Has anyone tried using it as a base for other bedding? I tried it for a while but while I liked it I found it too heavy to collect, move bales around & work with. Also my horse didn't seem keen to lay on it
frown.gif
At the moment I'm using Bedmax which doesn't breakdown & go dusty & is light to work with but not as absorbant so I'm using more. Any ideas how an Easibed base & Bedmax top would work?

Irishcobs

Visit site
Not sure. I've put straw on top before and that was fine. It mixed up a bit, but the easibed caught the wee while the straw caught the poo and the horse's laid down on it. It was also cheaper as I could make big beds and banks. Unfortunately my current horses eat the straw so they have pure easi bed beds.

Nari

Visit site
Irishcobs that was what I was hoping would happen - I was thinking that since the Easibed is smaller & heavier it would stay towards the bottom giving a nice solid absorbant base. I think I'll try it, fingers crossed it works!

sojeph

Visit site
Yep-I use an easibed base in my field shelter (which has a concrete floor) and straw on top. Works really well.

_jetset_

Visit site
I am thinking of using Nedz Bedz when Hannah is ready to have her foal as an alternative to straw... it sounds a little too good to be true though, LOL!

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks Mandy... I have had an email from the stud I sent Hannah to and they said it should be ok too.

Are you going on it? I remember you emailing that you wanted to know what people thought.