easiest ei 1* in peoples opinion

paddi22

Visit site
Hi, am aiming for a one star at the end of the year and just wanted peoples opinion on what they think the easiest 1star course in ireland would be? I'l have two horses out competing at lower levels so will be run ragged and haven't ever had the chance to properly walk and analyse any of the courses that im not doing on the day. Was just hoping for peoples feedback on what ones would be a good 1* starter, and at least i'l make an effort to get a look at it during the start of the year. thanks!

only_me

Visit site
assuming a CNC1* and not a CIC/CCI?

depends on what area you are in, and what your horse isn't great with - eg. if your horse can be a bit iffy on ditches I would definitely avoid kilmanahan!
Scarva and loughanmore are definitely not first time runs, glaslough and tullylish would probably be my pics as a first run :)

Fiona

Visit site
assuming a CNC1* and not a CIC/CCI?

depends on what area you are in, and what your horse isn't great with - eg. if your horse can be a bit iffy on ditches I would definitely avoid kilmanahan!
Scarva and loughanmore are definitely not first time runs, glaslough and tullylish would probably be my pics as a first run :)

I agree with this, also tullymurry can be quite a good one.... as long as horse good in water.

Fiona

paddi22

Visit site
cheers great to get the feedback! he's no bother with ditches or water. i'd imagine its tricky skinny combos we would struggle with. There was a couple of skinny combos in either kilmanaghan that would probably be at the peak of our combo skills. Some of the other ones like ballynamona seems fine from what i saw of the 1star course, so was just wondering did it vary much?!

only_me

Visit site
I'm not 100% on the very southern ones, I'm Northern so tend to do them with occasional dips into the Deep South :p

If you prefer big bold attacking courses rather than skinny combos then you could potentially aim for loughanmore, as it tends to be more big/bold than skinnys galore.
This is the 1* water at loughanmore, my horse is 17h lol
921FA82A-A416-485D-9C93-DDD78DAC9103_zpsn0gxigvj.jpg

It was also bucketing down, could barely see!!

This is one of the 1* jumps at scarva
photo_zpsd4bdb423.jpg

Annaharvey or crecora might be nice 1* courses, I haven't done crecora and it's been years since annaharvey but both are natural type parkland fences.
Also worth remembering that a 1* before a CCI will usually be stepped up a bit!