easing onto grass

JadeWisc

Visit site
My 4 month old Mini (about less than 100 lbs) Is doing very well with his weaning. He is eating hay and drinking very well. He is a lso eating about 1/2 cup of 10%sweet feed per day. I have been wanting to get him out of his stall more for play and sun during the day. All of my pens are grass filled though. How many hours per day is safe as a start to get him used to it to prevent founder?I could do this one myself with any other horse, I am just stumped here because he is so tiny and young.Advice needed please from any mini foal people.

Tia

Visit site
Don't worry - I very much doubt he will have any side-effects at this stage in his life. He is growing very quickly now so all the nutrition he will gain from the grass will be safely utilised. If he was mine I would have him out all the time but with access to his stall and hay.

filly190

Visit site
I have just bought an arab yearling, that was stabled 24/7, all the stud's horses were.

I had a situation, my other two were out for the summer and I could'nt leave my new one in on her own as this would have stressed her. On the other hand bringing mine in from their summer grazing would have been cruel.

I bit the bullet and put her in a small paddock next to their's. Hearing all the stories about grass sickness etc etc I was concerned. She had never been out and when I turned her out it brought tears to my eyes to see her joy.

I have had no problems and as grass is their natural food, she has had a massive growth spurt and is doing really well. I moved her from restricted within a week and I have one very happy foal.

Good luck, I did'nt read up on it, or give it much thought, I just let nature take its course.

JadeWisc

Visit site
yes....he was out all day and really had fun. He is just so tiny that I am so protective of the little guy! He did well with the fencing I am certain that he will be fine outdoor very soon. Charlie (my shetland) plays a bit too rough for him though so I had to restrict that. I suspect it will be awhile before I trust them out together. I may get him a little goat for a winter buddy! lol