East Essex HT - Report!

juliehannah58

Visit site
On Sunday I took my new ride to the East Essex Hunt XC in Braintree. Poor little lad was thrown in the deep end a bit, I have only sat on him 3 times and he's only 4yrs old and never even seen a XC jump so i was a little shocked when I walked the 'novice' course we were entered in! It was well 'up to height' in fact a few of the fences were at least 3'! It wasn't exactly the piddly logs I was hoping for (I'm a XC wimp and not afraid to admit it!
tongue.gif
) with a huge deep water complex, great big horrible ditches, steps, skinnys, and loads of combinations including a treble! Anyway, we were doing the pairs so he had his big brother to give him some encouragment so I thought we'd treat it as schooling.

He was very excited as it was only his 3rd show (bless him) so I found a quiet corner in the lorry park to warm up away from the crowds. Despite an explosion when he spied a pair of horses galloping past (!!) he settled in very well. We ambled over to the warm up which was very small and busy but we needed to have a jump. I was a bit worried as the practise fences were only logs, not a pole in sight and he's never seen anything but a pole before but he jumped it and jumped my glasses off my face in the process of making sure he cleared that scarey log good!! LOL! I was PMSL, I defo need a flying mask next time or at least some duct tape!! LOL! Anyway, all set and off we went following big bro but waited behind very patiently, although we actually ended up taking the lead half way round, it was his big boy moment! One of the fences I was majorly worried about was a very narrow big sleeper set thing at no.4 it was surrounded by trees and so uninviting, typically he sailed over that then stopped at a skinny wide log up a hill LOL! Anyway this was only fence no 6 so we kicked on and he did everything except the ditch. Can't say I blame him it was so huge and nasty, he didn't even want to look in there so we missed it out (ditch schooling here we come). He did eventually go through this huge water complex and we did a step in which was great! So well pleased, he did steps and skinnys all brilliantly and took strides out everywhere! He was ballooning me out of saddle all the time and I almost lost my glasses on several occasions, so he was feeling very confident about it all! Even though I dislike XC have to admit I came back beaming, it was great and I love riding him. But he was doing such a lovely collected canter in between fences I was thinking 'this is a showjumper not an eventer!', he is defo comig to me to SJ next Spring, roll on! LOL
grin.gif

So there you have it, the little man is doing very well and it was the first XC I have really enjoyed in a long long time!

Pics to follow shortly, when photographer puts them up
smile.gif

Thanks for reading
x

Rambo

Visit site
Cool ! Sounds like he's a brave lad.....and who can blame him for not wanting to jump big scary ditches
shocked.gif

Get him home soon....there's a winter of SJ'ing ahead
wink.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
Honestly, if I were him I would not have jumped it either! LOL! He kind of ran up to it then saw the ditch and it was like he'd been smacked in the face, he kind of ran backwards as if to say 'Muuuuuuummmmmmmmmyyyy, a horse eating pit!!!' LOL! He did not even want to walk in the ditch round the side so rather than upset him we carried on, bless him. He's a really good boy but defo more of a showjumper IMO!

He won't be coming home until the lighter eves now, especially with the new job and all my riding time is limited.
frown.gif
But roll on March!
laugh.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
That's brilliant, you both sound like you were very brave! So I may have missed a post but do tell more about this little lad please? How come you are riding him?

Looking forward to the pictures!

juliehannah58

Visit site
Hi Jo
smile.gif

he's a very brave boy, I just pretend to be brave
grin.gif

He belongs to a breeder friend of mine in essex, I used to have his full brother until a year or so ago. His current rider is not a confident rider so although she does OK on the older brother, she is not good for this lad at all and was starting to affect his confidence in jumping. I got the ride by accident really, I went along to a jumping show to help this girl and she messed it up so bad I ended up getting on him and he flew round, the rest as they say is history! So now I get a bit of pocket money to go up and take him out competing
laugh.gif
He is hopefully coming to stay with us in the Spring time
smile.gif

He is 16.3hh WB X TB, 4yrs old and was only backed in May. He's a real sweety and has a hugeeeee jump! His owner wants him to have a go at BYEH qualifiers next year and I want to BSJA hopefully in age classes next year. His name is Spartacus and this is him at our first spur of the moment show a few weeks ago:
sparks1-1.jpg

Sparks2.jpg

He's a very good boy!
laugh.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
WOW, he's a stunner, he looks massive though!

That’s brilliant that you get a bit of pocket money for riding him too. Well done, it sounds like you have already got a great bond going. I can understand how a horse like that could potentially knock someone’s confidence just due to the size and power.

So are you going to do the next Graham Fletcher clinic on him? I’m booked in but might not have a horse to do it on, there is no pint doing it on Otto now. But have to beg, steal or borrow a horse from someone.

juliehannah58

Visit site
His owner came down to watch the last one (pressure!! lol) and decided against him doing this coming one as he is a baby and really needs that one-to-one at the moment I think. Plus he can kick his heels up if he gets too excited so I would hate to disrupt other peeps lesson! LOL!

He is a big boy but other than the occasional squeak and bronc he is very well manored and not strong at all compared to my coblet! You know sometimes you just get on a horse and you instantly trust them to try? Well he is one of those, and as he is so young I think thats great and he has real potential
smile.gif

Is it midweek again? As I've just got a new job otherwise I'd offer you my coblet to ride as shes pretty good and straightforward but I can't take any days off... But you are welcome to come and ride and jump her at home if you think it would benefit you! Just let me know
smile.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
Sounds like you had a great time and he sounds like a little star
laugh.gif

Cant wait to see the pics

Hope he wont covert you to the darker side though LOL

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
OMG, really you would let me come and ride your coblet, WOW. That would make my year, my life, she is fantastic, a real jumping horse! Oh but I don't know if I would be good enough though?????

His owner obviously trusts you very much which must be a great feeling. You said that you were use to riding the lightly more hyper types but I bet he feels very different from coblet, doesn't he?

Yes the clinic is mid-week, take a sicky, oh I shouldn't encourage you should I. Even if I can't ride I will be there watching anyway. I have already booked the day off.

neil40

www.neilfortescue.com
[ QUOTE ]
Pics to follow shortly, when photographer puts them up

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya

A photo like this you mean
smile.gif

291006-085.jpg

Just getting round to the end of class 1 so thought I'd put it on for you - I feel like your own personal photographer!
wink.gif

I'd never been to that course before - they have some really challenging jumps; glad to see you made it to the end in one piece.

By the way, the first of the photos from Weeley made it in to the November edition of Absolute Horse magazine (p20).
Neil

juliehannah58

Visit site
LOL! Oh my god!! Hee hee!

That has made me laugh so much! You snoop! LOL!

That pic is better than I thought it would be, I thought I'd be in a proper 'Tally Ho' hunting seat!!
grin.gif

I am just about to order a whole stash of pics from you (had to wait until pay day
wink.gif
) from Weeley, how great it got in the mag! His owner will be so thrilled!

Yeah it was a toughy for a 3rd show, he looks babyish in the pic but he was a good boy, I was pleased with him as I'm a wussy XC rider
blush.gif

This is so strange!
smile.gif

neil40

www.neilfortescue.com
Spooky, I'd call it! LOL

Some celebrities would pay good money to have a photographer following them around - I do it for free!
wink.gif

As for being a wuss - I think you were right to be careful. There were quite a few fallers, especially at the coffin - even Paul Chinnery ended up on his back there.

juliehannah58

Visit site
LOL!

It took us a few minutes to get through the water complex and I saw two girls hit the deck in that time! I think the First Aid team had a busy day
wink.gif

I had my sticky bum jods on that day, just to help a bit, LOL!
blush.gif
grin.gif