East or West - which is best?

cobster

New User
Visit site
Good and bad points please for a horsey smallholding:

We have the chance to buy in Scotland and there are two possible locations, we can't decide between them. We are new to both areas as this is a relocation from England so have no experience of living in either place.

Which would you choose, and why?

South West (Dumfries and Galloway) or North East (Aberdeenshire)

Visit site
I’m further north than that, but definitely Aberdeenshire out of the two. More of a pain to get to, but that tends to keep property prices down. A bit.

If you’re completely new to both areas, renting before you buy can be worthwhile. Lets you scope out a place, and I wish we’d done it!

Good luck with the house-hunting!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Aberdeenshire. Lived here all my life. Good equestrian scene and very easy to get places if you travel further afield to events. Im an estate agent in the Shire so let me know what you're looking for as I might have something suitable on my books ;) Got 2 or 3 properties with land just now. You get a lot more for your money outwith the city.

cobster

New User
Visit site
So, if all goes to plan, then Aberdeenshire is the choice - thanks everyone for their thoughts and comments, it really helps to get other's views and opinions. Keep your fingers crossed that things go smoothly for us, hopefully will be seeking hacking buddies and recommendations for local contacts etc in a couple of months :)

Cloball

Visit site
Having lived in both I would go south west Dumfries I did not find any wetter and it was definitely sunnier, warmer and friendlier. I found it much easier to get places and see family as they are based in the north west. Aberdeen you and fly easily to the south coast if that's where you need to get to for family etc.
I am planning on going back to the south west when able. I wouldn't consider going back to Aberdeen.