eating straw

pixiebee

Visit site
quick question, but does it matter if my pony eats his straw whilst in the stable, he doesnt eat silly amounts just when he is out of haylage(he eats it by midnight) he already has quite alot of haylage so dont want to put more in as im trying to get weight off him. any suggestions???

AlexAndJess

Visit site
Lol. My pony is on a 'diet' and when she has finished her hay, starts eating her bed
laugh.gif

Shes done it most of this year and the year before, it hasn't harmed her at all, AND she hasn't put on weight !!

Rabea

Visit site
People told me that it could cause colic, but never in my life I have seen it. It is normal that the horses eat the staw, and as horses should not be starving as it could cause stomac ulcer, it is quite a good solution, because straw has very low calories. Plus it keeps them entertained. So no worry...

pixiebee

Visit site
phew! been panicking thinking he could get colic or something from it!! was thinking id have to change to shavings, but he is so messy i feel that it would work out alot more expensive at something like 6 quid a bale as opposed to 2.50 per bale of straw or do you use less shavings??

equibabe20

Visit site
hey,

I've heard that straw has negatice calories which means that they actually burn off more calories by eating the straw, so in ur case should be a good thing if ur's is on a diet. Dunno if this is true tho!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I don't think there's a food in the world that has negative calories.... wishful thinking there!

Mine will have a munch on his straw bed when he runs out of hay but doesn't worry me too much - look on bags of Dengie Good Doer, that contains straw!

If you want to get weight off then feed soaked hay not haylage.

pixiebee

Visit site
would love to feed him normal hay but haylage comes with the cost of the livery which is already quite expensive, so cant afford to buy seperate hay, he has no hard feed either so nothing else left to cut out of his diet but still have trouble getting weight off him. blimmin natives lol

Nikiolola

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's a food in the world that has negative calories.... wishful thinking there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Celery does
cool.gif
shame I can't stand the stuff
mad.gif

My horse always ate straw so I moved her onto shavings. She never suffered any ill effects from it though

GTs

Visit site
At the hospital if a horse eats it straw, it goes on shavings, if it eats it shavings, they are taken away too and it has nothing.