eBay irritation!

kathantoinette

Visit site
Bought a girth off eBay - seller advertised at 28", it arrived (Thursday) and was actually 22" buckle to buckle and about 25" end to end so not sure where 28" came from. £60 for said girth.

Lesson number one: get a photo of item with tape measure against it if the size is not stamped on the item

Contated seller, requesting a return. Put all details in the return report thingie including photos. Seller responded asking the reason for return...strange I explained again via a message.

I then copied her address from her info on eBay, packaged up the girth and sent it recorded delivery yesterday. The day after the return was requested. Saturday I get the offical eBay notification that the return had been granted but...with a change of address. So this girth is now merrily making its way to an address where she is no longer living. Contacted seller. Nothing she can do about it, is giving me 14 days to return the item to her. Says she doesn't know who is living at the address.

Lesson number 2: Follow the eBay procedure for returns!

Anyway, after a bit of digging its actually a racing yard so I'm hoping that I can get in touch with them and get them accept and then repost the item back to me. Just tried calling them but no answer at present. I presume she's left under a cloud otherwise could have contacted someone there.

WandaMare

Visit site
Seller sounds unhelpful, she could have contacted her previous address and asked them to forward to her, its her responsibility to make sure her details are correct on Ebay. Ebay is great most of the time but when it goes wrong it can get overly complicated.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
I'm a regulare eBayer for both buying and selling. It's a good platform but not without it's problems. As with all purchases - Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware! Make sure it's what you want and don't get carried away with a presumed bargain. When selling make sure your advert is idiot proof and photos display your item as it really is. Posting and couriers can be a real pain - none of them are 100%

I've found eBay's own dispute procedure quite good - apart from a roll of cable I sent off being a certain length but being reported much shorter at the other end! Luckily for you, it's much more difficult to shorten a girth than cable!

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
Get in touch with ebay. If the original address is where it has been posted from/registered with paypal, they might accept it as "item returned" as long as you provide tracking number and it would be sellers problem to fetch it from the yard.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
eBay...always on side of purchaser I’ve found, so you should get money back if you open a case .
I’ve just had to refund £28 for jods I sold, sent signed for, they were signed for at address stated, but user said she never received them,,,I’ve had to refund and not got the jods back..obviously someone saw the postman and signed for them and has kept the parcel So I am well out of pocket ..

holeymoley

Visit site
eBay...always on side of purchaser I’ve found, so you should get money back if you open a case .
I’ve just had to refund £28 for jods I sold, sent signed for, they were signed for at address stated, but user said she never received them,,,I’ve had to refund and not got the jods back..obviously someone saw the postman and signed for them and has kept the parcel So I am well out of pocket ..

That happened to me with a good Fal rug. Absolutely raging I was. I sold 3 rugs at the sane time and they all got to the buyers except that one ....

Fruitcake

Visit site

If you send eBay resolution centre a copy of the signature from the tracking, they’ll usually refund you as it’s proof of receipt.

It does annoy me how much eBay are usually on the side of the buyer but I’ve had experience of this and they’ve taken the seller’s side. Might be worth fighting.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have just been ebaying some stuff, and I think that the signed for option gives insurance up to £50. If the buyer will write to say it was not received then surely the insurance will pay out?

Fruitcake

Visit site
Anyway, after a bit of digging its actually a racing yard so I'm hoping that I can get in touch with them and get them accept and then repost the item back to me. Just tried calling them but no answer at present. I presume she's left under a cloud otherwise could have contacted someone there.

You’re probably better off asking them to refuse delivery and to not sign for it. That way, it’ll be returned to you at no extra cost (if you sent with Royal Mail signed for service and gave return address). Otherwise, you’ll be responsible for paying the postage costs back to you. Just make sure you’ve opened an eBay case to cover you as, chances are, it’ll end up being more than the 14 days you’ve got to return.

kathantoinette

Visit site
Thanks for your comments guys. Will be calling the racing yard tomorrow morning. I would rather stump up the money for them to return it to me rather than risk the Royal Mail returning to me. The girth was £60 so I really need to get it sorted :(

kathantoinette

Visit site
Quick update: after contacting them, the racing yard accepted the girth and posted it back out to me (I paid them the postage). I then resent it to the updated address and today I've had a refund!