eBay seller refusing to send back my blades

Achinghips

Visit site
Advice please ladies. eBay .... I sent three sets of blades to a company for sharpening. Have used the company before and they were fine. I posted second class recorded delivery. Not received my blades back. Four messages sent and ignored as well as three telephone calls to company with my messages left on answer machine. I opened an item not received on eBay, asking them to step in. Ok, it’s only 17 quid for the sharpening .... but in the meantime, I’ve sent over a hundred quid worth of blades. Can’t track my delivery online as they only do partial tracking. Royal Mail insurance will only pay out a maximum £50. Of course. So is the best I can hope for fifty quid. The sharpener/seller has said either I close the case and remove negative feedback and he will send them or he will just issue me a refund. I have said I will close case once I receive the service I have paid for so we are at a stalemate. He has ignored requests to return blades and said he will just issue a refund as he only received the blades last Friday, and I have not given him enough time to respond over the weekend despite me sending them recorded delivery on 23rd last month . What are my options?

rifruffian

Visit site
On the face of it the sharpener is displeased at negative feedback because he has not had sufficient time to execute the order. Thus remove that feedback and politely demand timely return of the blades, sharpened. If they do not arrive, info ebay all details but I do not think this scenario will fit their standard mediation template.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Advice please ladies. eBay .... I sent three sets of blades to a company for sharpening. Have used the company before and they were fine. I posted second class recorded delivery. Not received my blades back. Four messages sent and ignored as well as three telephone calls to company with my messages left on answer machine. I opened an item not received on eBay, asking them to step in. Ok, it’s only 17 quid for the sharpening .... but in the meantime, I’ve sent over a hundred quid worth of blades. Can’t track my delivery online as they only do partial tracking. Royal Mail insurance will only pay out a maximum £50. Of course. So is the best I can hope for fifty quid. The sharpener/seller has said either I close the case and remove negative feedback and he will send them or he will just issue me a refund. I have said I will close case once I receive the service I have paid for so we are at a stalemate. He has ignored requests to return blades and said he will just issue a refund as he only received the blades last Friday, and I have not given him enough time to respond over the weekend despite me sending them recorded delivery on 23rd last month . What are my options?
He received them last Friday that is the 1st December Then you don't really know if they have a back log to sharpen so by the time they got them they would not have been able to get them sharpened and back to you within 3 days IMO, also remember Christmas post and all that.

You don't say when you opened the case, so maybe they had to sharpened them yet and got annoyed at your quickness to open a case.

That said they have no right to blackmail you into removing the feedback and holding on to your blades

Auslander

Visit site
If you sent them second class on the 23rd, the earliest they are likely to have been delivered was Monday/Tuesday last week. Even if he did them on Wed/Thurs and sent them straight back second class, you'd have been looking at today as the earliest date you'd get them back. Four messages and 3 phone calls, plus a case opened with Ebay seems a bit much in this timescale. I'm not surprised he's pissed off tbh

JillA

Visit site
If you sent them 2nd class on 23rd November then I think you are boardering on unreasonable.

That's 11 days to have received, checked, sharpened and got ready for return - I don't think OP is unreasonable, most do a 24 hour turn around given that they are needed at this time of year.

Achinghips

Visit site
That's 11 days to have received, checked, sharpened and got ready for return - I don't think OP is unreasonable, most do a 24 hour turn around given that they are needed at this time of year.

Yes it was a 24 hour turnaround promise. But they're saying they only received the blades last Friday and consequently I am unreasonable to expect them to respond over the weekend.

Achinghips

Visit site
They are also saying I didn't send them a return address, and are using this reason to try to get me to cancel my negative feedback but this would have been provided on the eBay invoice .... I also followed it up with another private message, following the purchase, on the 23rd telling them who I was and what the package looked like, what wrapping it was as a returning customer, how many blades were in the package and providing my address again, in case it went astray.

Auslander

Visit site
That's 11 days to have received, checked, sharpened and got ready for return

No it isn't! OP sent them second-class on a Thursday, so they wouldn't have arrived until Monday or even Tuesday last week. Seller says he didn't receive them til Friday, which is not impossible, given that the post in December is pretty crazy. 24h turnaround is related to when the blades were received, not when they were sent.

I just think it's a bit early for the OP to be kicking off to this degree.

Auslander

Visit site
How would you get the blades returned to you now, Auslander?

Tricky question, as it's not a situation I've ever got myself into. Had I decided that, on reflection, I had behaved towards someone in a way that was unwarranted, and consequently got their back up - I would almost certainly apologise, remove the bad feedback, close the case, apologise again and ask him very nicely if he would return my blades.

JillA

Visit site
I think I would tell him I will remove negative feedback only when I received the blades properly sharpened, and then only if they are received by ***** date. He then has a chance to redeem himself.

Achinghips

Visit site
I think I would tell him I will remove negative feedback only when I received the blades properly sharpened, and then only if they are received by ***** date. He then has a chance to redeem himself.

Yes I have done this. He has refused and tells me I must close the case and remove the negative feedback and only then will he send me back my blades. Or I can simply just get a refund only and he will close the case.he has ended communication with "Your choice"

DirectorFury

Visit site
I do agree with Auslander on the timescales with this one, especially when you factor in that they were posted on Black Friday which always causes postal service chaos due to a higher volume of parcels being sent than usual.

Yes I have done this. He has refused and tells me I must close the case and remove the negative feedback and only then will he send me back my blades. Or I can simply just get a refund only and he will close the case.he has ended communication with "Your choice"

That's feedback extortion so I'd report that to eBay (keep a copy of the message) when you get your blades back. If you don't get the blades back surely it counts as theft? Unless he refunds you the full value of the blades. Tbf at this point I'd do what he wants to get the blades back and only take action when I get them back. Is it really worth losing over a hundred pounds worth of blades over?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Given the time of year, (black friday weekend) unless you have proof from your recorded delivery that they got there earlier I would be inclined to believe that they only arrived on Friday and yes I would have waited at least until the end of play on a monday to get a reply, it's great if business owners opt to work weekends but I don't hold it against them if they don't.

He has confirmed he has the blades so at least they aren't lost, I would apologise and say you were worried they were lost as they should have got to him much sooner and change the feedback in order to get them back.

Achinghips

Visit site
I think it's all solved now. I sent him a message apologising for kicking off so quickly, as Auslander suggested, and agreed to close the case and remove negative feedback. Someone else then responded to my message by apologising for an emotional colleagues responses and promising to return the blades, sharpened free of charge for all the trouble caused. Let's hope I get them back. Thanks everyone.

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
If you sent them second class on the 23rd, the earliest they are likely to have been delivered was Monday/Tuesday last week. Even if he did them on Wed/Thurs and sent them straight back second class, you'd have been looking at today as the earliest date you'd get them back. Four messages and 3 phone calls, plus a case opened with Ebay seems a bit much in this timescale. I'm not surprised he's pissed off tbh

If she has sent them on 23 then the parcel would be delivered on Monday as even standard 2nd class posted on Fri arrives Monday.

Besides, as a business, even with a cow of a customer you are just "smile and wave" and a short message through clenched teeth (beauty of on-line trading) "sorry, it hasnt arrived yet..." or "my apologies, we are a bit behind schedule.." would keep anyone quiet.

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
I think it's all solved now. I sent him a message apologising for kicking off so quickly, as Auslander suggested, and agreed to close the case and remove negative feedback. Someone else then responded to my message by apologising for an emotional colleagues responses and promising to return the blades, sharpened free of charge for all the trouble caused. Let's hope I get them back. Thanks everyone.

Looks like quite alot of people reading forum :D

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Not sure about the postage. .. According to RM , 2nd class (" we aim to deliver in 2-3 working days including Saturdays).

So posted Fri, expect to arrive Monday or Tuesday. But given Black Friday then the the "aim for" bit probably comes into play.

OP Hope you get sorted soon.

Edit... Just seen update. Fingers crossed for safe return :)

DappleDown

Visit site
Christmas post could already be starting to slow mail down.

Posting with full tracking would have been a better option, but too late for that now, so I would leave the case open (as once it is closed that's it and if the seller goes back on their word you will have lost out), I would also leave the feedback as it is for the moment - see below:

The seller still has time to sharpen your blades and return them to you. Tell the seller once the blades have been received back you will of course close the case, and amend the feedback.

If the seller does not accept this, leave it in the hands of ebay to sort.

Let us know how it all works out for you. Good luck.

9tails

Visit site

Does this mean that he will steal your blades?