ECG- heart at 60bpm

holeymoley

Visit site
Anyone had an ecg done on their horse?

To be as brief as possible, my guy has gone through the worst episode of laminitis I’ve seen, I thought it was time but he’s pulled through and we are in the remedial trim process. During his acute part of laminitis, he went 2 days without touching any hay, only had his hard feed. I believe the reason for this was that this was a bad batch, however on day 2 he staggered backwards and fell to the side in his stable, again I had a mild heart attack and thought that was the end. Vet came out immediately and from description didn’t think it was anything like a seizure (thankfully) done a full check over on him and took bloods. Nothing obvious in bloods. He hasn’t done it since and hasn’t shown any signs of doing it in the 14 years I’ve owned him. The only thing which showed was a heart murmur and an increased heart rate of on average about 60bpm. Vet said this could be due to the laminitis and to keep and eye on it. Another vet came out to check him a fortnight later and got 60bpm too. She was slightly ‘loud’ in her personality which I said may have worried him slightly, so original vet suggested I listen and see what I get over a few days. I was getting 60bpm too. Original vet listened last week and says that it’s high. It could still be due to the laminitis but he’d like to get him in and looked at purely for safety reasons as a ridden horse. Just wondering if anyone has ever had their horse scanned before? What did it show?

I truely believe the falling incident was due to maybe not eating enough and being sore, he was standing still at the time and looked as if he ‘spooked’. Perhaps his legs had locked and with the pain he went off balance? The vet said it may just be one of these things that we never know.

Leo Walker

Visit site
When mine had lammi it was sky high. Until he makes a full recovery from lammi I wouldnt even consider any further investigations. At this stage you dont know how it will turn out, and travelling with active lammi is a big nono unless there is really no other choice. I'd park it for now, and once you are ready to start ridden rehab reassess then.

I'd be inclined to think that there was pain involved in the fall as well, and with the not eating and pain I'd be watching very, very carefully for signs of ulcers, in fact I think I'd be working on the basis that there was ulceration and having a chat to my vet about it. Not sure if there would be any point scoping at this stage, but you could give a supplement/treatment anyway.

holeymoley

Visit site
Thanks. Yes I’m inclined to agree that it’s going on the back burner at the moment until we get the laminitis sorted. The fall was over a month ago and he’s not shown anymore signs thankfully. I’m ensuring that he constantly has soaked hay to munch on, and hard feed wise he’s getting speedi beet but looking to change to pink mash which seems to have lots of benefits towards ulcery stomachs. My friend’s horse has gone through ulcer treatment so I know the signs to check for.