eCG - when does it start (AP perhaps?)

Brenjack

Visit site
I know that pregnant mares produce eCG but i keep reading different times.....i've read it arrives from 35 days but I've also read that it starts at 45 days.
Does anybody know what's correct.

AndyPandy

Visit site
36 days (+/- 1) is the stage at which the endometrial cups form, which are responsible for the production of eCG
smile.gif

Brenjack

Visit site
So - AP - I have had my mare scanned at 42 days and all is well. I was meant to wait for 49 days but was getting worried and had one at 42 instead. While vet thinks I have got nothing to worry about - she is suggesting another one in about 2 or 3 weeks so we go past 45 days - as that's when she says eCG starts (or whatever it does, appears, starts, you know what I mean)

In your opinion - would you bother having another scan (bearing in mind, I worry !!!)

AndyPandy

Visit site
To be honest, I would wait until 56 days which is when placentation starts to involve the uterus. Or even 60-70 days when it's easier to try to sex the foetus (if your vet is familiar with the procedure). The endometrial cups have already formed now, so eCG is already present.

Don't worry though, you're past the worst bit!
laugh.gif

Brenjack

Visit site
thanks AP - it was my intention to wait another 3 weeks from 42 days - but then it was also my original intention to wait 3 weeks from the 28 days scan and then panic set in and i only managed to wait 2 weeks
frown.gif

This mare spent 2 years at stud with no success, so this year I've gone AI and it worked first time - hence the panic now setting in. I thnk i'm driving my vet mad but she's knows what I'm feeling so has been a bit of a rock to be fair.
I feel better for having scan at 42 days and will probably wait the 3 weeks which will make her 63 days...........or at least that's the plan.
crazy.gif

Just have to say your posts re myths and mares not getting in foal have given me hours of reading and re-reading and kept my spirits up when I thought all was lost with this mare - so thanks for that.

AndyPandy

Visit site
Awww, thank you. No worries at all, really glad you enjoyed them and that they helped!
laugh.gif
Good luck with the mare... fingers crossed for you.