Ecogold Memory Foam Half Pad

mrussell

Visit site
I dont like memory foam. Yes it can adapt to the shape of the horse underneath it but it can also emphasise the imbalance of the rider above it. IMO if a saddle needs any sort of correctional padding beyond a cotton saddle pad, you would want that foam to offer constant support (Although you may not need correction under yours...just saying ;) )

Not to mention the fact that memory foam has to warm and mould to shape...who has a horse who's msucles and bones dont move from second to second under the saddle ? I threw away my memory foam pillows for the same reason - hideous to move position on - avoiding the hole you just made with your head and forming a new one every few minutes...

Am I rambling ? *wonders off in a confused state*

KatB

Visit site
Equipe do one J... N at VV had one hanging around last time I went up there, worth a look? It is lovely, very soft but supportive at the same time! Only issue I had is I think it would make the saddle narrower....

icestationzebra

Visit site
I dont like memory foam. Yes it can adapt to the shape of the horse underneath it but it can also emphasise the imbalance of the rider above it. IMO if a saddle needs any sort of correctional padding beyond a cotton saddle pad, you would want that foam to offer constant support (Although you may not need correction under yours...just saying ;) )

Not to mention the fact that memory foam has to warm and mould to shape...who has a horse who's msucles and bones dont move from second to second under the saddle ? I threw away my memory foam pillows for the same reason - hideous to move position on - avoiding the hole you just made with your head and forming a new one every few minutes...

Am I rambling ? *wonders off in a confused state*

Valid points MR - we had a memory foam mattress that we got rid of because it got so hot! I don't need anything to correct fit but just want something cushioning beneath the saddle. I have an ordinary gel pad but I find it pulls down onto the withers due to it's flat shape and if I pull it right up into the gullet it doesn't sit under the saddle correctly. Perhaps what I really need is a bigger shaped gel pad?

mrussell

Visit site
How about one of the gel pads with a cut out bit at the front to avoid withers? Horse health do one :)

What she says ^^^^^^ Horse Health also do the lovely sheepskin half pads with the cut away gullets and swan necks that dont pull down under the saddle and sit as a tight as a Cowboy on an angry bull ;)

kerilli

Visit site
the Ecogold one has three different layers of different types of foam I think, only 1 of which is Memory foam. there was a long thread about them on COTH which caught my eye, lots of experiences of them. I definitely want to try one. they were talking about the Thinline pads too, which also sound very good.
This thread: https://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337188

Last edited:

icestationzebra

Visit site
the Ecogold one has three different layers of different types of foam I think, only 1 of which is Memory foam. there was a long thread about them on COTH which caught my eye, lots of experiences of them. I definitely want to try one. they were talking about the Thinline pads too, which also sound very good.
This thread: https://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337188

Thanks for that K - interesting discussion. Do you know what shimming is??

SpottedCat

Visit site
Shims are things you put in pockets on a pad to raise different bits of the saddle aren't they? I have a Nuumed half pad with 4 shim pockets so you can pad up unevenly if required.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I use a cavallo barrel pad under my stock saddle, and at Hartpury I had it pressure tested by a student, and they found it removed all the pressure points that showed up with just the saddle.

For that reason, and because my sport is energetic, I like some decent padding under the horse

(Also with Cavallo, I use the merino wool size against the horse)

icestationzebra

Visit site
I use a cavallo barrel pad under my stock saddle, and at Hartpury I had it pressure tested by a student, and they found it removed all the pressure points that showed up with just the saddle.

For that reason, and because my sport is energetic, I like some decent padding under the horse

(Also with Cavallo, I use the merino wool size against the horse)

Thank you - that's interesting :)

pootler

Visit site

icestationzebra

Visit site
Thanks everyone - some interesting stuff out there. I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Ecogold one so will be interesting to see if it lives up to expectations. The Americans seem to have gone mad for it :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I got one from Paul Fielders website it's Danish I think it literally changed my horse from the moment we put it on I was very dubious when he suggested it but he was 100 % right in my horses case ,my saddle is fitted to allow for it .
Its 1 cm thick.

TonyP

New User
Visit site
From what I have observed memory foam compresses and on a thin pad bottoms out. It feels great to the touch and really loved the concept, however the more I tested it I realized it didn't offer what I wanted. No shock absorbency? And then gel reacts well to impact and pressure points, but it is very heavy, doesn't breath and moves.
T

Valid points MR - we had a memory foam mattress that we got rid of because it got so hot! I don't need anything to correct fit but just want something cushioning beneath the saddle. I have an ordinary gel pad but I find it pulls down onto the withers due to it's flat shape and if I pull it right up into the gullet it doesn't sit under the saddle correctly. Perhaps what I really need is a bigger shaped gel pad?