Economic Tow Cars

haras

Visit site
As the title says really.

I'm looking to change my car for something that I can tow with.

The trailer is an old richardson one and weighs around 900kg. My heaviest pony weighs 480 kg. I'd most likely only be towing one at a time.

My problem is this..... I am a community nurse and as such I have to use my car for work. I get paid a mileage allowance, but it is not that generous. (It has gone up all of 4p a mile in 10 years!)

So I need a car that is safe to tow with and also economic enough to use for work.

The car that I have been looking at is the free lander. I know it is not ideal, but I'm running out of options!

Ideas welcome!

moocow

Visit site
fom what I have heard, freelanders don't tow very well as the body is really heavy for the engine size (or something like that!). My friend just got a subaru forrester and swears by it to tow one horse. I don't know about the weights etc for it though.

NeilM

Visit site
You can get 4 X 4's very cheap at present, due to the economic and road tax situation. I don't know too much about Freelanders, but they are a bit of a mock offroader, a Discovery would be a more practical car. My favourite in this class is the Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun). They are cheap to buy and run and have a good reputation for reliability. Unfortunately, none of the 4x4's are cheap to run in comparison to a saloon car. Petrol or diesel, fuel consumption when not towing is pretty average.

Subaru's are good cars, but they can be expensive to buy and if anything goes wrong, watch out, as spares are pricey.

What about a diesel estate car; something like the diesel Mondeo. I'm not sure what the max towing weight is, but they are a very underrated car, cheap to buy and run and pretty good fuel consumption. Saab's are nice and as long as you don't get it serviced by a Saab garage, they are cheap to run. I had a 95 diesel estate for 70,000 miles and it was as good as gold. Also VW Passat's are plentiful, reliable have tons of room inside.

Hope that helps more than confuses.
grin.gif

rcm_73

Visit site
Stay away from Freelander for towing, Land Rover Discovery 2.5 TDi or if newer get the TDS, they are the best for towing, unless you want to go for one of the foreigners such as Toyota Hilux Surf but they have bigger engines so although great for towing they are heavy on fuel. I have a Discovery TDi but also have a 96 Totota Corolla 2L diesel estate car which has been good for towing and still is but I tend to use the Discovery now as it's got the added bonus of being an off-roader so no getting stuck in muddy fields!! Good luck!

ribena73

Visit site
I have a nissan x trail 2.2 diesel and it tows an IW HB505, my boy (about 450kg) and kids fatty (about 250kg) no problem. I get about 30-32 mpg from it

FAB_FERN

Visit site
I just sold my Daihatsu Fourtrak. That was better on Diesel than most 4X4's and reliable but still heavy on fuel. I just sold it now as I have a horse box. Someone I knew used to tow a single ifor trailer with a big horse in with a Mondeo.