Eden Valley Hunter Trial Report with J! We are getting there!

Javabb94

Visit site
Seeing as my other horse is out of action Java was roped into doing a hunter trial! We also odd dressage in Thursday where we gained 4th place but with 60.9 something in P18. Set us up nicely for the HT as he was on my side this week!

Seeing as Java is pretty backward XC we entered the 65cm beginners class to try and build his confidence.

Walked the course on Friday and it looked nice and inviting and I was really looking forward to it.

The day dawned and bright and early I went to get Java ready and as soon as the XC boots appeared he knew it meant XC time so he did his best "I can't be bothered and would rather eat grass" impression.

Headed over to the collecting ring and started warming up he was very very chilled which was lovely! Normally not so! Pointed him at the fences and he actually jumped them - to most of you asking a horse to jump an XC fence and then to jump it for you is normal, not Java, most of you who read my reports will know he now has a reputation for being the horse "eliminated at the first" in a Be80 and the horse who "hates flowers" :eek3:

Surprisingly jumped all the collecting ring jumps and then the dreaded announcement "26 standby" occurred.
Headed across and into the start box no problem and off went. Cue napping fit and a stop at the first! Dejavu set in.

Finally got him over then another napping fit before two meant we stopped, same at 3! Gradually he started to grow in confidence and jumped along the bank to the skinny fine, through the double fine, across the a frame, and into the woods where he stopped once at the skinny. Carried on across the drop log and down over 14. Popped the log before the water and then stopped at the water. Had to let horse behind past. As he saw the horse behind go through he decided there was no horse eating monsters in there and set off carefully! Then popped the palisade and skinny to finish.

0442b2ee55f1b9c614c84c582e9d18b6_zps0444ca2f.jpg

afd132b269b66ea5b76d5531081c8b0f_zpsfb1c08f3.jpg

4f864ca8fc6da11e605a3c5ce60a686b_zps3453b34a.jpg

d1a060fa78af145c09625621c2a7b1e6_zps77a8a22c.jpg

Obviously eliminated (letting people carry on as educational day as well as a comp) but he is getting there. The fact we made it round is a huge achievement for us.

There is another in 2 weeks where again we are doing the 65cm and then the 80cm pairs class (courses fairly short and he is pretty fit) very excited!

After I popped him away I was in the start box setting people off - thoroughly enjoyed myself there although when I go to sleep tonight I will be dreaming about "5,4,3,2,1 go" :biggrin3:

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Well done for getting around. I have a nappy horse as well and its so annoying when you know they have the capability to do the jump they just insist on looking at it first. I spent a year getting eliminated by 3, then a year of random stops and finally got our double clear this weekend. Keep trying, you will get there.

Javabb94

Visit site
Well done indeed - definite progress :D

Thanks - actually quite pleased with him :)

well done! ps how do you post pics??

Thanks. The pics I upload to photobucket and then copy the IMG code into the thread and it appears as pics when I post it :)

Aw bless him :smile3:

Good luck for the next one !

Thanks - really excited for next time hopefully it will click with him.

Well done for getting around. I have a nappy horse as well and its so annoying when you know they have the capability to do the jump they just insist on looking at it first. I spent a year getting eliminated by 3, then a year of random stops and finally got our double clear this weekend. Keep trying, you will get there.

Thanks - hopefully he will get there he is 15 so time not on our side. He has all the ability in the world will pop 1.15 in the school and I have no doubt he has the scope for BE100 but he just isn't bold enough or committed. I would love to next year get round a BE80 without being eliminated!

Lolo

Visit site
Well done :D He looks like he gained confidence as the round went on, and I bet pairs will be really good for him in getting him into the 'forwards' mindset- do you think team chasing (with a nice team who know what you're after!) would be helpful too? He'll get there :)

Javabb94

Visit site
Well done :D He looks like he gained confidence as the round went on, and I bet pairs will be really good for him in getting him into the 'forwards' mindset- do you think team chasing (with a nice team who know what you're after!) would be helpful too? He'll get there :)

Thanks :) yes he definitely seemed me confident as it went on. Fences 2 and 3 were right next to the wagons so had a sticky moment there! Never thought of team chasing or anything! Can't wait to do the pairs :)