educational level for 2-year olds - what would you expect?

Gomer

Visit site
hello,

a question for those of you who breed horses or bring on youngsters:

on average, what educational level would you expect of a 2-year old?

I've seen some that cannot be trotted up and that kick for you when you try to pick their legs up, while others are used to a bridle and have started long reining etc.

The 2 year olds I've had previously have been handled quite a lot and well behaved. But those were stabled and I suppose it might not work to compare them to 2-year olds that live in a field with a herd.

Would it cause you concern if a 2-year old was naugthy; kicking, striking etc or would you be confident of training it off due to the age?

Gingernags

Visit site
We are having issues with our 2 year old, mainly because she runs riot over her mother and "auntie" in the field as they won't stand up to her, so she's now trying to boss me!

She stands tied, has feet picked and trimmed, will walk and trot up in hand, has a bridle on, does a couple of parelli games, and as of yesterday now long reins (well, ok she's a bit slow learning but she's trying!) and is happy for my sister to saddle her up and will stand to be laid across and will walk away bearing weight.

AND for the first time in ages, forgot to try to bully me in the field! So I'm really hopeful that the work and attention will start to replace her bad habits (usually scowling, trying to bite me, and trying to double barrell me when I send her away).

Failing that we're sending her off to play with her brothers and sisters for a few months to get a sorting out in a herd situation...

ihatework

Visit site
Hi,
I have a 2yo at the moment that I bought back in March. The lady I bought him off had obviously handled him well. He was good to lead, would pick up his feet, good for farrier. He had been field kept with other youngsters for all his life so not stabled and over produced.
Since having him I have bitted him, trimmed him up, put roller on and am now starting to longrein and plan his first inhand show. He has done all this willingly and without fuss.

I wouldn't have been prepared to buy either a 2yo that hadn't had the experience of living with others its own age and learning horsey etiquette, but at the same time didn't want a baby that had been allowed to completely run wild.

The chances are that with some good firm and consistent handling this youngster you refer to will become a lot more sociable. At the risk of being shouted at by the forum, if he is a little unruly at the moment I would be tempted to have him out with some older horses so that they can help put him in his place if needed.

Another thing to check would be that he isn't a rig.

Good luck

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Unless you're talking TBs, a 2 year old should have done no more than be handleable - caught, led, nice temperment, groomed, feet picked out and done by farrier with no problems, and that is for them all, even the ones in herds. Once those basics are instilled at a young age they are not forgotten (they might get rusty if turned away for a very long time with no human contact but it does soon come back).
If my 2 year olds (any age for that matter) acted like that towards me at any stage in their lives they'd soon be on the wrong side of a pasting and would remember their manners pretty damn quick, it shouldn't be allowed anytime, it's not an age allowance thing IMO.
If you're looking at one that maybe hasn't had the basics instilled then do make sure the temperment of the sire and dam don't have anything to do with it, it is just a lack of handling that has caused this. If temperments of parents are dodgy I, personally, would walk away. There are plenty of problems with young horses anyway without that coming into the equation. If it basically seems a nice person, just very rude, then handling should soon bring it around but be prepared to be strong in both body and mind and determined to win else it will carry on with the bad behaviour it's got now to some extent.

Disclaimer! These are my views only, I don't expect them to suit everyone.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Mine is halter broken, will trot up, pick up feet without a fuss, brilliant for the farrier, is bitted and is now sat in a field doing bugger all but is still a good girl
grin.gif

Ginn

Visit site
A 2 yr old thats been handled should be well mannered and have respect for the handler - if you were to buy an unhandled one and want to start doing so then the sooner it learns manners the better!

Mine has been handled from about 1yo. Since Ive had her (at 15 months) she's seen the farrier regularly and been handled daily in the same way I would handle any other horse (i.e. coming in from field and politely standing tied, being groomed, lead around, feet picked up etc). She is not allowed to kick etc - if she's caught pawing outside the tackroom while I mix feeds for example then she'll first get a firm "no!" and a growl followed by a dandy brush thrown at the shoulder of the offending leg should the "no" be ignored (not too hard though) - unsurprisingly this was an issue for about 2 days and never since! The last 6 months I have been having basic groundwork lessons with her and a local instructor. In this we cover basic handling and leading, lunge work (in walk), longreining etc. She has also been walked and trotted in hand over a couple of poles, has had tack (including saddle) on regularly (she was bitted at 18 months), has had me leaning across her back and has had my small sister sit on her and be lead around for a few minutes every so often. She has regular baths, including both those with soap and bubbles or just a quick hose down and stands like a gem every time. AND, she is turned out 24/7 and left to be a horse for 23 hours of the day.

Gomer

Visit site
thanks! I have been viewing a couple of 2-year olds and they vary immensly - some of the worst behaving ones might be better bred/more talented but I do feel that at that age it should at least be quiet and not kick when having the legs picked up.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Our two year olds are leadable, reasonable to have their feet trimmed, and will stand to be brushed etc. They don't really need a lot more education until they start being broken unless they were going to be shown. They are all traffic proofed as we drive the tractor and 4 x 4 amongst them daily.
We don't allow kicking or biting, but they rarely attempt those anyway.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Chancer is now 2. He wears tack, long reins, loose schools, does a tiny amount of work on the lunge. He leads in hand, walks, trots, halts and backs up on command. He also goes for small hacks being led off Cairo which he thinks is great fun - like taking out a large dog.

He is good to load, lead, farrier, teeth, tie up, bath, rug, trim and has had clippers on him - he is one hairy baby. He will stand having spray and feet done whilst in the field with no headcollar on.

He gets three sessions a week of about 20 mins of varied training which he really enjoys. Without it he can be a bit pushy and seems to get bored.

I got him at 16 months and he had the basics of being led, feet and tied up. I have slowly worked him through things and my old horse has taught him a lot about what is expected of him.

He has occasionally nipped and went through a stage of striking out which was promptly nipped in the bud.

You cannot leave anything nearby as it will be chewed and trampled - at the end of the day he is a baby and likes to investigate everything. He does stop when told to.

I am very lucky in that he is very kind natured and calm and really seems to enjoy being taught new things.

I have seen others that are wild at that age, but not kicking and biting. Some people do nothing until they are ready for backing - personally I prefer to spend time taking things slowly so that by the time Chancer is backed, he will take everything in his stride, ie he will have been long reined and led out for over a year before being ridden.

Taz975

Visit site
Our two year olds are out in a herd, but they are all leadable, you can groom them, pick out feet,& are good for the farrier. They're used to tractors & cars driving about them, and TBH they havent done anything else as I dont feel theres any need yet, they know good and bad manners & and they dont forget that.