Eeeek shocker of a day at Calmsden!

Michen

Visit site
Met some friends from yard there and Boggle was a nightmare for dressage, screamed the entire time and I finally got him settled before going in but he screamed again and bucked in the canter.

I of course went wrong in the test... but we got a 30.5 which was mid range through the section I think.

Warmed up for sj, no more screaming. Bog absolutely flying. Go in and fence one and two are perfect, I’m grinning, we totally have this. Set him up for fence three an oxer with a upright after and he took off with one leg, left the other and had a pole stuck between his legs resulting in him falling, me coming off and his shoulder crashing down on my leg. Both of us on the floor but amazingly got up fine.

Not sure what to make of it really, we had a near miss hunting where he took a flyer and nose dived but no fall. I honestly don’t think I did anything wrong to get him to this fence though and it was almost like he went to put another stride in with one leg but not the other. Do these things really just happen? Feeling a bit scared and worried! He tried hard to save us both but the pole getting caught up in between his legs made it impossible.

I’ve always considered him so careful and clever on his feet and the hunting thing just a fluke but... eeek. I’m stiff and sore so will see how he is and try and jump again ASAP to check nerves...

4064FC08-91DA-458B-8DCF-E6262D4888EB.jpeg196B44C5-3030-4EC3-B3D7-2708ACF9ED83.jpeg

hobo

Visit site
Oh such a shame for you but glad no real harm was done. Even the pro's have bad days so hopefully when you get home and pop a few jumps you will be back out again.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Try not to over analyse it. Yes these things do just happen. I had a horse fall when show jumping as came into a combination slightly wrong, but the horse just kept trying and by the final part her legs were in a muddle and we fell. She was a very careful jumper.
Did anyone video it?
Am jumping tmw if you want to have a play and get straight back into it.

Michen

Visit site
Try not to over analyse it. Yes these things do just happen. I had a horse fall when show jumping as came into a combination slightly wrong, but the horse just kept trying and by the final part her legs were in a muddle and we fell. She was a very careful jumper.
Did anyone video it?
Am jumping tmw if you want to have a play and get straight back into it.
Ohhh did you. That makes me feel better! No video but looked at the photos, he landed with one leg still in the jump and pole in between but no photos of us actually hitting the deck.

Think he may be a bit stiff and sore so will see how he is and take you up on it if he’s ok!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ouch, hope you are not too sore too!
Yes, these things happen occasionally, even if on film it can be difficult to work out what went wrong, I was head scratching for weeks after I and L Fuzzy turned turtle when she caught a pole, we were sj indoors at the time, under instruction. Still none the wiser now, I've had to put it away and move on, hope you can do same.

ps, norty Boggle shouting round his test!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Oh what a shame but so glad you are both ok. I think things just do happen. I came off XC on Max for no real reason. He just landed and pecked and fell and it was just a straihgt forward rolltop. But he never did anything like that again. Hot bath, G&T. And well done on a good ressage score - without the buck and the error of course that would have been a super score. I dream of 20s!! But we are not there yet. x

Michen

Visit site
Ouch, hope you are not too sore too!
Yes, these things happen occasionally, even if on film it can be difficult to work out what went wrong, I was head scratching for weeks after I and L Fuzzy turned turtle when she caught a pole, we were sj indoors at the time, under instruction. Still none the wiser now, I've had to put it away and move on, hope you can do same.

ps, norty Boggle shouting round his test!

I was so cross with him for the shouting, it was utterly unnecessary (he saw his stable neighbour)... his behaviour was appalling lol! He literally screamed through the judges window as we were going around waiting to be buzzed!

Thank you for your reply, I shall try to put it out of my mind and not get nervous again!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Glad you're still smiling in the photo 😃

Honestly, if a normally careful horse falls because of a freak set of circumstances, I'd put it behind me and get him out sj'ing (subject to stiffness etc) asap.

It's different when you have a dodgy jumper or one who has been getting progressively more worrying when you jump.

Pretty good dressage score for a horse that was clearly not 100% in the zone 😀

JFTDWS

Visit site
It does happen - one of mine did it - a proper idiotic slow-rotational over a tiny showjump. Never done it since - I think that was when he learned to stop rather than just keep going if it really wasn't doable!

Sorry you didn't have a better day.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oof, what a shame :(
Another here who has had a random horse fall SJing, millie and I tipped up over a cross pole at the start of a grid once. She was as shocked as me as we both sat on the floor looking at each other. I felt awful as she ripped a load of tail out 😱 but no ill effects otherwise.

Michen

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Feeling a bit better about it now. Spent ages cold hosing him earlier and he’s definitely a bit stiff, though I turned him out and he felt fine to have a hooley in field.

Depending on how he goes I think I’ll aim to get back out ASAP at Swalcliffe unaff 80 in a couple of weeks time, rather than have him run with his jockey at broadway/millfield 100.

Xtra

Visit site
this has happened to me twice. firstly a good horse caught a pole between his front legs nothing he could do and he fell with me. last year my super reliable mare tripped on approach to a fence (smaller than our usual class) and both of us crashed into the fence. I watched the vid 100 times plus and cant figure out what went wrong. its taken a while to get over it but I would agree to get back on and at it on some level before you over thing it. He is a super wee horse and it was just bad luck

Reactions: TPO

Michen

Visit site
The left leg is swelling nicely! I think I was very lucky it didn’t break having half a ton of boggle land on it 😳 but it certainly hurts!!!!

3CE171BF-070F-4077-92DB-43CBB602013D.jpeg

Fiona

Visit site
Poor you x x

I'd definitely suggest getting out to some local SJ for a couple of confidence building rounds before your next event.

Hope you aren't too stiff tomorrow..

Fiona

Michen

Visit site
Wel
Poor you x x

I'd definitely suggest getting out to some local SJ for a couple of confidence building rounds before your next event.

Hope you aren't too stiff tomorrow..

Fiona

Well I am absolutely crippled, but Boggle has nice cold legs and seems ok. Physio booked for him on Tuesday though to be sure! Thank you. Xx

be positive

Visit site
That is probably the best way round, if he were crippled you would be far more concerned!!! It is surprising what they can get away with yet in some ways they are so fragile. Physio for you may be a good idea.

Michen

Visit site
That is probably the best way round, if he were crippled you would be far more concerned!!! It is surprising what they can get away with yet in some ways they are so fragile. Physio for you may be a good idea.

Absolutely, I’d be devastated! X

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Glad Boggle seems fine this morning but ouch for you! My mare who was a super careful jumper once did exactly the same with me over not particularly big oxer. Took off fine but came down with a pole between her front legs. Nobody watching could see any reason for it happening. The only thing I could think of was that she hadn't realised there was a back rail. She was fine, I was the one hurt, and it never happened again.

Hope you're feeling less sore soon.

TPO

Visit site
Ouch, what a shame for you both.

Glad that Boggle is feeling ok this morning. Has he got any ice boots that you can borrow? ;)

Well done on your dressage score considering his antics. Sub 30 is just around the corner.

I think it's a good idea that you have a confidence boosting fun round lined up as your next event to get you both up and running again quickly. Easy to say but try not to over think it, sh t happens and sometimes there's no rhyme nor reason for it. Try and get in on some of that physio action too!

Michen

Visit site
Ouch, what a shame for you both.

Glad that Boggle is feeling ok this morning. Has he got any ice boots that you can borrow? ;)

Well done on your dressage score considering his antics. Sub 30 is just around the corner.

I think it's a good idea that you have a confidence boosting fun round lined up as your next event to get you both up and running again quickly. Easy to say but try not to over think it, sh t happens and sometimes there's no rhyme nor reason for it. Try and get in on some of that physio action too!

Hmmm no I don’t but I think it’s more his shoulder/side that would be damaged as that’s where he really hit the ground (or rather, me!).

I think I have a plan to enter swalcliffe unaff in two weeks time at 80 (we went around it a few weeks ago too). Then stick at 80 in May... I was hoping to do the unaff 3 day at keysoe and do the 90 but I think for now I will go right back to where it’s comfortable (for me!) and just enjoy it all a little!

TPO

Visit site
Hmmm no I don’t but I think it’s more his shoulder/side that would be damaged as that’s where he really hit the ground (or rather, me!).

I think I have a plan to enter swalcliffe unaff in two weeks time at 80 (we went around it a few weeks ago too). Then stick at 80 in May... I was hoping to do the unaff 3 day at keysoe and do the 90 but I think for now I will go right back to where it’s comfortable (for me!) and just enjoy it all a little!

Sorry crossed wires, I know Boggle is hosed, iced and 5* treated. I was meaning his ice boots to go on your leg!

This is all still new and fresh in your mind. Wait until you're back onboard and see where your head is at. It sounds like one of those freak no blame things that sometimes happen so dont write off your progress and capabilities based on one blip. You both do so much better than you know!

Michen

Visit site
Sorry crossed wires, I know Boggle is hosed, iced and 5* treated. I was meaning his ice boots to go on your leg!

This is all still new and fresh in your mind. Wait until you're back onboard and see where your head is at. It sounds like one of those freak no blame things that sometimes happen so dont write off your progress and capabilities based on one blip. You both do so much better than you know!
Oh ha, that would be a good idea! Frozen peas will have to do hehe!

Bernster

Visit site
I suspect boggle would get far better treatment than you’re going to give yourself OP 😉 ice boots (for you) could be a very good idea!

Michen

Visit site
C68F0742-4508-4696-9E69-35BA8C3B2D77.pngGot some footage sent to me today just in time for the physio (he was very very sore in his neck and she’s coming back in two weeks). It looks like he totally failed to take off with his left fore, for whatever reason. Strongly considering a vet check to make sure a) he’s ok post fall and b) there’s no reason for him forgetting a bloody leg! I’ll be amazed if my confidence isn’t in tatters when I next jump again..

[video]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

371E3859-186B-4A69-A2B9-9A0B1EC54564.jpeg7441733B-F133-4CE5-A09F-B0D7FB830C81.jpeg

Last edited: