Effectiveness of Bute mixed in wet feed

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
My horse is on one sachet of bute a day mixed in sloppy wet feed I make up the night before and fed by staff in the morning before turnout. Someone on the yard recently said that bute is not effective when added in wet feed and should be added at the last minute before feeding.

I think they said because the bute granules have a protective outer coating (like tablets for example) which are dissolved when added to wet feed. It has to be fed sloppy at the moment due to a tooth issue and pre-wet due to the addition of mix and speedibeet in the feed.If this is the case I will leave a sachet on top of the feed for staff to add just before feeding.

Any truth in this please? Ester I am guessing you might know.

jj_87

Visit site
If you are struggling with sprinkling on top of feed, I recommend switching to Danilon. My very fussy mare will not eat Equipalazone at all despite any method of hiding it but will happily eat danilon out of your hand (Face palm)

SEL

Visit site
It is supposed to be top dressed to avoid the outer coating disintegrating. I tend to sprinkle on top just before serving and give the bucket a bit of a shake so its disguised a bit.

My gelding will eat Equipalazone, but my mare looks at me as if I'm poisoning her if its in her food (even covered in copra) - so she has to have danilon.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Learned something... thank you. I always add just before feeding but will sprinkle and serve rather than mix in now. I think she'll still eat it.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
If you are struggling with sprinkling on top of feed, I recommend switching to Danilon. My very fussy mare will not eat Equipalazone at all despite any method of hiding it but will happily eat danilon out of your hand (Face palm)
Thanks but never had a problem with the feeds with bute not being eaten so I think it will be fine. I will just get the staff to add at last minute.