Effects after general anesthesia?

cazzr

Visit site
Hi, this is my first post as I normally just 'lurk' on here but I have a question and I'm hoping some of you have some experience that can put my mind to rest a bit....

Well, Millie my 16.3 mare had an argument with a barbed wire fence (i know, i know) yesterday and lost. She ended up getting shipped to the vets surgery last night as synovial fluid was leaking out of her tendon sheath (the cut was just above the fetlock towards the outside/back of the leg). She had a general anesthetic this morning so they could flush out the 'bad stuff' to help her along, and this went well and she is now in recovery under sedation...
My question is, she's going to have tonnes of antibiotics etc and have pink powder at the ready for this as i know it can play up with the gut, but are there any specific after effects of having general anesthetic that I should be aware of? I will ask the vet but wondered if anyone on here has experience of this?

Caz

samp

Visit site
My horse had very similar surgery and he recovered v well considering the odds against him. He will just be like we are after surgery a bit sore and lethargic. Just keep an eye on his temperature for any infections and obviously heat or swelling to the fetlock

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
My girl had surgery for colic.....quite complicated so took hours.
She was very depressed for two days afterwards...then perked up on the third day, exactly as they told me.
Try not to worry too much
S :)

aran

community.webshots.com
aran recovered very well after his surgery. sometimes they can colic - but that usually because the intestines are empty and so when they are laid on their back for surgery the intestines can move - get tangled, looped etc. However its not that common. If she's up and ok then thats the main bit over and done with.
I hope they sorted out the tendon and no infection gets in - good luck

murphyboywoody

Visit site
My old horse had 3 ga's in his operations on his tendons. He was fine each time, the only thing was he was 3 day eventing fit and his muscles got a bit sore so he had a massage or 2 which he loved!!!
Dont worry im sure your horse will be fine!
smile.gif

cazzr

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I went to see her last night and she indeed looked quite lethargic and a bit sorry for herself, but I suppose that is to be expected. She did look quite tucked up but aparently that was due to the fact that she hadn't been fed since the night before because of the GA. She was certainly looking for food so had an appetite and they said she'd get a big haynet that evening so she'll probably be happier when i see her next.
Have to admit, my first thought on seeing her was, what if she gets colic when they start feeding her after not having anything for so long?? I don't know how it works with nil by mouth for operations but surely no food going through the system for long periods can't be good?
Fully trust my vets tho so I'm sure she'll be fine.... Not looking forwards to handling her after a few weeks box rest tho!!
smile.gif

Caz

GreedyGuts

Visit site
The major post-anaesthetic risk is colic. This is due to the guts slowing down in response to the drugs used and feed being withheld before and after surgery. For this reason it is important to reintroduce feed very slowly, and make sure faeces are passed before the amount of feed is increased. Once their guts get going again they generally don't look back!

star

Visit site
my horse had surgery last august and antibiotics etc - i didn't give him anything extra diet wise or change anything in his management. he recovered very well.