Effects of Steroids on Horses

Parkranger

Visit site
I know I should post this in veterinary but thought I'd try hear first.....

Just wondered if anyones horses had been put on a course of steroids and how it affected them? My boy has had to have an injection to help clear his infected tear ducts (after having them flushed) and before I rode yesterday he went a bit loopy - kept kicking out as if his back legs where cramped.

Actually noticed this once before but not to this extent - you know how they fidget when you put bandages on? It was like that but yesterday he kicked out straight back and missed my head by about a foot...!

Not like him and really concerned.......doesn't help that we've just found out he's blind in his offside eye (that's a whole other story!) so I'm wondering whether it was the strong wind and him loosing his sense of hearing which he'd obviously be very dependent on having sight in only one eye?

Very confused!

confused.gif

Happytohack

Visit site
My big chap had a course of steroids - he was on them for well over a month - last year after a bad bout of cystitis. Had no ill effects whatsever and the only danger might have been him getting laminitis, which as he is 17.3 and a heavy draught horse was unlikely and he didn't.

How come your new horse is blind in one eye - didn't you have a 5 stage vetting when you bought him and wasn't any problem picked up then?

Parkranger

Visit site
Can't go into the blindness on the forum due to the legal implications, but yes, he did have a 5 stage!!!

Don't seem to be having a lot of luck at the moment.....

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
My youngster (she was 1 1/2 months when this was done) had an anabolic steriod jab to try and get the muscles in her leg to grow in an attempt to straighten the leg (it all seemed a bit pointless to me) and it did bugger all, she was just a dopey as ever
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Kat
xx

Parkranger

Visit site
Must have been the wind, rain etc then and the sensation of not being able to hear me as well as normal......so out of character but I suppose he's been through a lot the last week!

missmorsey

Visit site
one of mine was on steroids for a very long time about 4 months i think he started off at 100 tablets a day,they did work wonders when he was on the high dose,was a differnet horse but as it went down he deteriated again.he had to be pts.
frown.gif

x

Happytohack

Visit site
What bad luck - I have read all your posts about you coming back to riding & horse ownership and your horse hunt with great interest. It seemed you did everything "right" as well. Poor Ty and poor you.

Parkranger

Visit site
I know, just goes to show that the world of horses is very unpredictable!

Just had a lovely hack out though, just the two of us, and although it was windy, he was fine....not sure he appreciated me singing to him though....
grin.gif

My advice to anyone getting a vetting is to wave your hands in front of both eyes and make sure it can see!
mad.gif