EGB pleasure rides, charity rides, etc.

autumn7

Visit site
I love entering long distance rides and try and do as many as I can throughout the year, however, I only enjoy them if I ride solo. There's something about doing the distance totally independently, just me and horse that I just don't feel when riding accompanied, even if it is with a good friend. It isn't my horse's behaviour either, she's a gem both alone and in company, it's more the having to confirm with the other person if it's OK to canter on a stretch, or bits I want to walk they may want to trot, and so forth. Another horse may be slower than mine or I may have to keep jogging to catch up - all this takes the pleasure out of the whole experience as for as I'm concerned, plus - I don't want to have to banter all the way round, shouting back and forth so we can hear each other, etc.

These thoughts have arisen as I'm about to do a charity ride this weekend which I was really looking forward to. I entered it a while ago and thought it'd be great for me and horse to chill out again after a busy hunting season. Now I've heard that someone's contacting me tonight, not a firm friend , more of an acquaintence. They want to start doing "these rides" and want to see if I'm going this weekend, if so, what time as they'd like to join me. How on earth can I put it politely that I wish to ride alone without seeming totally unsociable and unhelpful??

Part of me says relent and do this one with them, with the knowledge that they're in it for the blast at every opportunity whilst I particularly want to get my horse back to being an independent chilled character again for the summer, (another reason for enjoying riding solo). Then the rest of me says start as I mean to go on, give them the run down re. venue, entering, ride format, etc., tell them that it'll be good to see them there, but let them know that I always ride alone since it's the independent nature of theses rides that I enjoy.

Am I the ONLY person who prefers doing long distance rides solo???? Please tell me I'm not !
BTW this may all make me seem a horrible stand-offish person, I'm really not, honest - I just adore being alone with my trusty steed venturing out into the unknown.

Pedantic

Visit site
I think your just a misery guts :mad:

No not really only kidding :D, I should just be straight with people, if they don't understand thats not really your problem, maybe if they are new and need a bit of support to get confidence with how things work etc to start with, may be a nice gesture to ride with them, but make it clear form the start that normally you ride alone.

FairyLights

Visit site
Same here, I really enjoy doing any long distance ride alone with my horse,its what its all about. Gossiping and trotting along with friends just doesnt do it for me.

Foxglove

Visit site
I understand where you are coming from, but you never know when you might need some help at some time. Maybe suggest starting off with her and agree that you can go on once she has settled in.

It is entirely your choice and I don't know what level you are at, but endurance is a very friendly sport and there is nothing like doing a 50 mile tough ride over exmoor with friends. You are all in it together and sometimes you will need them and they vice versa.

You will share incredible times that only the people you were with at time will understand.

However, I don't buy into this having to check it is ok to canter etc, if you (not you personally, but one) are on a ride, pleasure or competitive, you should be capable of being on it and should not be a hinderence to other riders. This may not be a popular view so I can understand you wanting to avoid the agro

Last edited:

pip6

Visit site
I much prefer riding solo, & think it is kinder to my girl as I pick the pace that suits her, & it isn't modified for anyone else.

In the past I have tried riding with people, & not being rude it's always spoilt my ride. My girl majorly hots up with others, she loves to lead, & when in the lead strides on (is very bold). Others always say 'I have to go in front', they go there & their horse slows down to a pace that pi55es mine off.

In her novice (endurance) year, one person asked to ride with me at the start, foolishly I said fine. She pi55ed off up every incline then walked in between, definately not the way to approach an endurance ride. I held mine back when the lady tanked off, winding my horse up a treat, then the woman insisted in staying in front of us on the flat. By the first crew point my horse was lathered (she never does this when fit). In the end I said the the woman go ahead or behind but i am not riding with you, you're winding my horse up. She cantered on ahead. About 3/4 the way round I passed her, her horse was knackered & she was having to walk. It was the only ride that year we got a grade 4 at the end (my girl got mainly grade 1's that year), as she had taken much more out of herself than usual. Since then, people say 'we'll share transport & ride together' & I always say, we'll share then i'll ride on my own thanks, it's better for my horse.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't need the company & I'll have a much nicer ride, which is thepoint in going. Never believe people when they say 'but i'll go behind you', once you get out suddenly they can't hold them & they 'have' to go in front. Just explain you want to go solo, your horse works better that way.

autumn7

Visit site
Friend phoned last night. Agreed to do this ride with her but (hope) I made it very clear that I normally choose to ride alone. Feel annoyed that I relented on this occasion as feel I've defeated the object of entering ie. to chill out/clear my horse's head after a busy hunting season and to regain some independence having run with the crowd all winter.
Suddenly all enthusiasm for this ride has evaporated...

Pip6 - you hit the nail on the head with some of your comments. My horse will go first or last. I've trained her to do this so yes, I find it infuriating when I'm the one in company that has to follow the tail in front as accompanying horse is too strong to settle behind/bucks when horse in front increases speed, etc. I end up feeling I'm playing follow my leader on a riding school hack.

Foxglove - I do understand the camaraderie you must feel when doing "proper" endurance stuff. Must be akin to hunting which is my main pursuit. However I'm never likely to venture beyond the 32k pleasure rides myself, I adore PR's but my horses over the years have always been heavier types unsuitable for longer/competitive LDRs.

Pedantic - yep! I'm now officially a misery guts.....thanks for enlightening me after all these years! Also a unsociable s*d and soon to be billy no mates!!! Should have dawned sooner. I've just always accepted that my best friend is my ginger cat. Is this not normal then??

Last edited: