EHV-1 in Badminton

lhotse

Visit site
Am getting mixed messages on FB about a possible outbreak in the Beaufort Hunt stables of EHV-1, and that hunting was called off today because of it. Worryingly, some people have posted that it's EIA that has been found there. I'm hoping that it's all chinese whispers, but it's worryingly close and could have severe implications for the horse trials as well.
Can anyone shed any light on the situation please?

Delicious_D

Visit site
Oh god i hope not :( its getting worringly close!
That would be a huge blow to the eventing calender if its confirmed. :(

Starzaan

Visit site
It's unconfirmed at the moment, but hunting was called off today. It was the last meet of the season as well so it must have been something serious if the Beaufort called off their last day.

Our vets have told us not to take our horses or our liveries off the premises, and to avoid Badminton for the forseeable future, just in case! We're only about ten minutes away... it's very worrying.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Crumbs that is worrying :(

How is it spreading so fast?!

Well, hunting doesn't help as its spread by touching, mucus, bodily fluids from horse to horse and its not good news for pregnant mares. All horses are potential carriers.

Just isolate your yard from any shows, meets, clinics competitions and that goes for all horses at your yard. Yards where there are confirmed cases have to be isolated for four weeks. That means no leaving or entering.

:(

Hexx

Visit site
Our vet is coming next week to vaccinate practically every horse on the yard against EHV - it is certainly starting to make its presence known.

trendybraincell

Visit site
I've got my fingers crossed for all those stabled there or close by.

We had planned to box up there in the am for a blast but have obviously cancelled, but its a little annoying that its all over my facebook from one person stating they've read it on facebook somewhere!

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Fingers crossed for everyone, especially those affected or close by.

Hopefully, the preventative measures taken will stop it spreading any further & it's largely the good ol' rumour mill at work ...

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It's unconfirmed at the moment, but hunting was called off today. It was the last meet of the season as well so it must have been something serious if the Beaufort called off their last day.

If there is any suspicion of EHV1 at Badminton or an associated yard, the Beaufort did the right thing. The Heythrop cancelled hunting for a couple of weeks in February due to an EHV1 outbreak at a hunter livery yard in the area so I'd guess there's a chance that a horse from the Heythrop might have been out with the Beaufort at the wrong time - but it's also possible they're just being sensibly cautious.

EHV1 can spread through the air - but not for any real distance and it doesn't live long in the environment.

mynutmeg

Visit site
It is possible to vaccinate against this and I would strongly recommend anyone with a pregnant mare anywhere near this (and in general) to vaccinate as in pregnant mares is causes late term abortion.

mynutmeg

Visit site
I'm not sure on price as haven't had my bill through yet :rolleyes:
It's like any other vaccine - it gives decent protection but not 100%, no vaccine can give 100% protection.
Best thing is to have a chat with the vets on the phone

g3mm4

Visit site
Letters were sent out by the Badminton Estate last week, to anyone with permission to ride there, to say that the Estate was closed to riders so that the tracks could be sorted following very wet winter and hunting etc.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Letters were sent out by the Badminton Estate last week, to anyone with permission to ride there, to say that the Estate was closed to riders so that the tracks could be sorted following very wet winter and hunting etc.

That would be because the park is closed prior to the horse trials I would have thought and nothing to do with the suspected case. As the Beaufort were still hunting on the 13th I presume the suspected case has only come to light since then.

lhotse

Visit site
The results of the tests are due on monday, so hopefully all will become clearer then. What is the quarantine time for EHV? Worrying for all concerned.

g3mm4

Visit site
That would be because the park is closed prior to the horse trials I would have thought and nothing to do with the suspected case. As the Beaufort were still hunting on the 13th I presume the suspected case has only come to light since then.

That is correct - they close it this time every year (the whole Estate not just the Park)

Replay

Visit site
We vaccinated following the Heythrop outbreak. We have done initial 2 vaccinations, 4 weeks apart. Cost excluding call out, was in the region of £25-£30 each. Worth it for peace of mind in my opinion.