EHV-1 Neurological

Cragrat

Visit site
This horrendous disease has reared its ugly head again in North Yorkshire, currently about 30 miles from us. 2 dead that I know for sure, many more rumoured to be dead.

I spoke to our vets when the Spanish outbreak was happening and he explained that vaccination is a waste of time against the neurological variant, and can actually increase the risk of neurological symptoms if given when the horse has already been exposed. So no vaccinating then.

Would you risk going to compete outdoors, taking all biosecurity measures possible? Having spoken to a couple of venues much closer to the outbreak, they are carrying on, but asking people to sign to say their horse doesn't have any symptoms. IMHO, that is surely a waste of time? I would have thought it would be be possible to be incubating but yet showing symptoms?

I know the answer is better safe than sorry, and I have pulled out of a competition in the other direction this weekend. It's just soooo frustrating after a year of C-19!!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh heck, I got the notification text of an outbreak of EHV-1 neuro in N.Yorks on Friday :(.

Is the location being freely shared locally? I'd hunker down and not go out until it's clear whether the outbreak is contained.

Condolences to the connections of the deceased horses.