EHV 1 Outbreak

sport horse

Visit site
There is a massive outbreak of EHV 1 Neurological strain at one of the shows in Spain. 4 horses are dead and 85 more affected. Related cases have already been found in W. Europe. The FEI have cancelled all show on Mainland W Europe until the end of March.

We desparately need to keep this out of UK - there is a small window to do this by closing the borders but this window wil expire in about 24 hours as some competitiors are already on their way home. They must be stopped until they have a negative test on all their horses - the incubation period is 20 days so any one of them could be unknowlingly positive. This actually happended to two German horses that subsequently died on their return to their own yard.

Please please rattle the doors and cages of your MPs and any press you might know - we need to get the borders closed. As it is not a notifiable disease DEFRA are disinterested. We are just beginning to see a glimmer of hope of the horse world opening up after Covid - we do not need this!!

You can read more on Facebook - UKSJ and/or BSJA

ihatework

Visit site
I don’t know enough about it but we probably need some sort of quarantine in the UK close to the ports/Chunnel to hold returning horses until they test clear.

There are a number of shows across the EU at the moment with British horses there and now unable to jump, likely to be headed home very soon if not already.

We have the opportunity to manage this now in the UK, but we are reliant on a lot of parties being ultra conservative and very transparent

sport horse

Visit site
Absolutley and I have just heard that H & H have replied to one campaigner that 'it is not a threat to the national herd'. Where are you H & H please wake up before it is too late. How can it not be a risk to the National herd?

sport horse

Visit site
It is not only show jumpers out there - there are many eventers too. Apparently yes because they are Elite Athletes and they earn their living from it. However that is hardly the point at the moment - the point is to stop any horse entering GB that could pass infection on.

muddybay

Visit site
Can I stress that whatever we think about the people being out there in the first place that the urgent thing is to stop them coming back into UK without negative EHV tests on all the horses? Any other conversation is for later!
Sorry I just don't know why they can go out at the moment and potentially run the risk of stopping any of us competing when the shows reopen and endanger our horses!

AUB

Visit site
I am working on yday's figures. The number will probably rise dramatically.

From what I’ve heard they’ve had the virus since sometime in the beginning of february.
I can easily find names of 2 Danish and 2 German horses that have died. Must be many more from other nations as well.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I know that my instructor was due to go out to Spain to groom/compete, the horses that she was joining are now in 40 day quarantine - I don't have any more info than that and I am unsure whether that was officially enforced or an owner being responsible. Hopefully though it's a reflection of how everyone is dealing with the threat and returning to the UK.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Eeek - I have a relative currently at his property halfway between Valencia and Barcelona with his two mares, he does travel with them back to his other properties in France and across to Ireland and back yearly, should he be worried? As far as I know they're not kept with/don't see many other horses but then his property in France is very near Arnac Pompadour which has racing, showjumping etc and I know he is planning on sending his mare to stud there in the spring ?

Evie91

Visit site
First heard of this today. Fellow livery alerted YO and now arranging for the horses to be vaccinated. We are just an average yard - no international travel for the horses, but owners worried enough would rather horses be vaccinated than risk this.

AUB

Visit site
First heard of this today. Fellow livery alerted YO and now arranging for the horses to be vaccinated. We are just an average yard - no international travel for the horses, but owners worried enough would rather horses be vaccinated than risk this.

Unfortunately it seems the vaccine doesn’t work on this strain. I know that at least one of the dead horses was vaccinated.

Evie91

Visit site
Unfortunately it seems the vaccine doesn’t work on this strain. I know that at least one of the dead horses was vaccinated.
Oh no! Vet seemed to think it worthwhile, we may need to ask some more questions.
Sounds horrific doesn’t it- just not confident we’ll stop it entering UK, just look at what’s happened with Covid.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

stormox

Visit site
Can I stress that whatever we think about the people being out there in the first place that the urgent thing is to stop them coming back into UK without negative EHV tests on all the horses? Any other conversation is for later!
I think it would be very difficult to 'stop them coming into the UK if they are travelling home. A place to quarantine near the ports/ tunnel should be sorted.
I hate the thought of horses being stranded on a journey like the 2500 cattle with blue- tongue.

AFB

Visit site
The UK response is certainly weak (to be expected, if we can't react to Covid promptly then EHV1 isn't going to get a look in) - can anybody explain simply why it's not a notifiable disease where DEFRA are concerned? Are their criteria only if it's going to damage the farming industry or transmissible to humans?

Barlow

Visit site
I suspect I know the person you have in mind if you’re in the south west. I had been hoping the increase of import duties etc might have meant a scaling back in their operations but doubtful. We are not prepared for this in the U.K. and I’m dreading the consequences.