EHV CONFIRMED AT BADMINTON STABLES

Starzaan

Visit site
Veterinary update from the Bourton Vale Equine Clinic

Disease situation in the Beaufort Hunt stables and hunt area.

On 15thMarch, a horse showing suspicious clinical signs of equine Herpes virus infection was seen in the Beaufort Hunt stables in Badminton. Tests were taken and sent urgently to the Animal Health Trust. Initially we were extremely puzzled as to how this infection could have been spread to the Beaufort hunt horses but late on Friday night, we learned that a new horse had been moved to Badminton which may have been in contact with the original Heythrop outbreak in February. The new horse arrived on 5thMarch and had been hunted twice with the Beaufort on 6thand 9thMarch and stabled in Badminton stables. Capt Farquhar cancelled hunting on 16thMarch and advised all Beaufort Hunt subscribers not to visit other packs until we had the results of the blood and swab tests. The initial PCR test results came through on the evening of 16thMarch and confirmed the neurological form of Equine Herpes virus infection in a hunt horse.

The incubation period for Equine Herpes virus infection is up to 10 days and we would strongly urge anyone who has hunted with the Beaufort since 6thMarch or if there are any horses in your stable yard which have hunted with the Beaufort since 6thMarch to remain at home and not travel to other hunts or any other horse events for 14 days after the last date of possible contact.

CLINICAL SIGNS TO LOOK OUT FOR:

1: Temperature increase. Check your horse’s temperature twice daily and if above 38.5C this is a suspicious sign

2: Dull and off food

3: Respiratory signs,ie coughing or nasal discharge

4: Abortion in pregnant mares

5: Neurological signs, ie incoordination or unsteady on limbs

Transmission is via direct horse to horse contact or by direct aerosol transmission from infected horse usually in shared airspace ie close stabling, transport or group of horses.

Prevention:

1: Isolate any new horses coming onto your yard for a min of 10 days

2: Change clothing and wash hands after contact with any suspect or infected horses. Disinfect horse transport between transporting different horses.

3: Avoid stressful stimuli to horses which may have been exposed to the virus

4: Isolate any horses showing a temperature rise and/or respiratory signs and contact your own vet immediately

5: Vaccination in the face of an outbreak is NOT recommended.

lcharles

Visit site
I was told about this on Saturday as I went to the meet where the infected horse was. Hunting has been cancelled. Any news on how the horse is? All very local to me, we have a yard of about 60 horses and may mention to the YO about having a quarantine area for new arrivals as they change all the time.

Fanatical

Visit site
Wow, worrying times.
I wonder if this will affect the Horse Trials at all? Would be gutting for them if it does after last years cancellation.
I hope the horse that has been diagnosed makes a full recovery and that it doesn't spread.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
The 9th March was also a joint meet with the Berkeley Hunt and I'm just glad that we were on foot for that one. Just shows how easily cross infection can happen. Hopefully it will be contained to just the one case.

lcharles

Visit site
The 9th March was also a joint meet with the Berkeley Hunt and I'm just glad that we were on foot for that one. Just shows how easily cross infection can happen. Hopefully it will be contained to just the one case.

Yes i'm with the Berkeley, all horses are ok so far though! Fingers crossed! X

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Thanks starzaan for confirming!

Looks like it will be a quiet spring for this area...

Starzaan

Visit site
No problem. It's very worrying - we're only ten minutes away and one of my liveries was out hunting on both the days the infected horse went out.

Will keep you all updated as I get news.

lhotse

Visit site
Thankyou for the update. Lets hope that everyone who has been in contact is responsible and keeps their horses away from others for the recommended period. If everyone can act quickly, then this outbreak can hopefully be contained. I would imagine that there are a lot of very worried people involved in the Horse Trials at the moment.

gossy

New User
Visit site
I believe that these cases are confirmed now, and i sadly believe that 1 of the mares has been PTS, unfortunately we are very close to this area, we have stopped all comings and goings from yard, we have foot and hand disinfectants, and all our horses at the moment are not showing any signs, being so close to it is extremely worrying, we dont hunt ours but alot on the yard did with the beaufort and they hunted through our fields :(:(

TeamChaser

Visit site
Thanks for posting - crucial that horse owners have up to date information so that we can act responsibly

I hunt with the Berkeley but haven't been out since 27th Feb so before the joint Beaufort meeting. Will be keeping an eye on mine though and will start to monitor temps

Will also have a word with YO. They are a bit relaxed about horses coming and going to yard to use school etc. In fact I recently saw pics on facebook of a local girls ponies in my stables having their teeth done while mine were out in field!! Will be putting a stop to any more of that a bit sharpish!

Horrible illness. We lost young horse at racing yard I rode out at years ago and it was a horrible way to lose one and had real implications for the yard - lengthy quarantine and re testing procedures etc

Dizzydancer

Visit site
How worrying. Very sad if they have to cancel badminton but its for safety reasons i think people will understand, i do think it would be letter to re arrange it for after negative tests and cancel as a last resort.

Replay

Visit site
There is an EHV 1,4 vaccination available. I believe studs insist on broodmares being vaccinated before they arrive and this could be extended to event horses. It is a course of two injections 4 weeks apart, followed by regular boosters.

Delicious_D

Visit site
statement here: http://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/index.php/ehv-confirmed-at-beaufort-hunt-stables-statement/

EHV Confirmed At Beaufort Hunt Stables – Statement

There is a confirmed case of Equine Herpes Virus in the Beaufort Hunt stables at Badminton. We are consulting with our veterinary advisers including biosecurity experts from the Animal Health Trust so that we can ensure a secure environment for the international event horses, which are not due to come here for another 6 weeks. We will keep everyone informed of our plans.

We will provide a further update in the next few days.

huntley

Visit site
The virus does require close contact - if you read the statement, it suggests that they need to travel or stable close to each other and I presume it can be carried on grooms' clothing. The virus was brought in to the yard by a horse coming from an infected yard. It is highly unlikely that horses have caught it out hunting unless they actually had nose to nose contact with the carrier. It is in my understanding not a wind borne virus otherwise everything would have to stop, ie eventing, dressage etc.

gossy

New User
Visit site
EHV at Beaufort Hunt Stables - What effect will this have on Badminton Horse Trails?

A statement has been released on the Badminton Horse Trials 2013 website confirming a case of Equine Herpes Virus in the Beaufort Hunt Stables at Badminton.
"There is a confirmed case of Equine Herpes Virus in the Beaufort Hunt stables at Badminton. We are consulting with our veterinary advisers including biosecurity experts from the Animal Health Trust so that we can ensure a secure environment for the international event horses, which are not due to come here for another 6 weeks. We will keep everyone informed of our plans.
We will provide a further update in the next few days."

There have been several cases of EHV confirmed in Gloustershire recently, too date there have been no confirmations of the Equine Herpes Virus 1 (EHV-1), which can cause respiratory disease, abortion and neonatal mortality, mutating to Equine Herpes Virus Myeloencephalopathy (EHM) a severe viral brain and spinal fluid infection that can result in death.

Symptoms of Equine Herpes Virus Type 1 (EHV-1) include high temperature, lethargy, clear runny nose, many horses only get the respiratory version and clear the virus after a few days but they need to be evaluated by a vet and isolated for at least 21 days or until any infectious disease has been ruled out.

In only 6 weeks the international event horses are due at Badminton for the Badminton Horse Trials. An outbreak of EHV is a potential disaster. It spreads via nasal secretions, through touch, through the air and through objects that have been in contact with infected horses this includes hands, clothing of people, anything an infected horse has been in contact with.

Unlike most international events, where horses are stabled in temporary stables, Badminton Horse Trials stables the event horses in the Beaufort Hunt Stables where the outbreak has occured. With 6 weeks to go there is still time to arrange alternative stabling but will competitors take the risk? Much depends on what occurs in Gloucestershire over the next few days and weeks.

You can keep updated with the Beaufort situation by visiting the Badminton Horse Trials Latest News Page

For more information on EHV, Equine Herpes Virus Type 1 (EHV-1) and Equine Herpes Virus Myeloencephalopathy (EHM), including symptoms and what to do if you fear your horse may have been in contact with a horse who has contracted EHV-1, read EHV-1 Equine Herpes Virus Type1 What you need to know

tiggs

Visit site
It is Gatcombe Horse Trials this weekend and they have this statement on their BDWP page

"EQUINE HERPES - Anybody who has hunted with the Beaufort since 6th March 2013 please ask your vet's advice as to whether you should be attending the horse trial,and speak to Organiser Pattie Biden if the vet gives permission "