EHV vaccinations??

zoelouisem

Visit site
Who hasnt got there horse/pony vaccinated against EHV? And are you considering it now? Especially those of you that go out regulary.
I know it recomends not to vaccinate once theres an outbreak but im guessing that means if you have an outbreak on the premises horse/pony is kept on.
Im seriously considering it now as pony goes out to shows at least weekly. Ive always just got the normal flu and tet done. Never really looked into EHV TBH.

Replay

Visit site
We have vaccinated. Horses hadnt been anywhere near having contact with infected animals, so vet advised safe to do so. Have done initial course of two injections 4 weeks apart. Will follow up at 3 months as opposed to 6 months (recommended by vet). Havent managed to get out to compete tho - flipping weather! Speak to your vet and see what they advise.

Shay

Visit site
Just because a vaccination exists does not mean it is always worth using. Or even effective!

It is always worth doing some research as well as speaking to your vet and considering your actual risk.

None of the current commercially available vaccinations protect against the neurological variant. Indeed there is evidence that vaccinating actually makes the horse more vulnerable to this fatal complication, not less. The attenuated strain and high load versions do offer some protection against abortion in mares and mitigation of the severity of respiratory symptoms. The low antigen version only acts to minimise viral shedding when the animal does contract EHV.

My concern is that those who vaccinate opt for the cheaper low antigen version and then ignore early signs of disease because thier horse is vaccinated and they simply don't realise that they still catch the disease.

At the moment we rely on good bio security - even at shows. Exactly as you do to protect against strangles which is transmitted the same way. If there was an outbreak nearby perhaps my view would change. But I'm not sure it would give the current limits on the effectiveness.

Hexx

Visit site
Our vet recommended that we get our horses done, so the majority of the yard was vaxed this week.

Following Shay's response, I will check and see which vaccine they used.

zoelouisem

Visit site
Just because a vaccination exists does not mean it is always worth using. Or even effective!

It is always worth doing some research as well as speaking to your vet and considering your actual risk.

None of the current commercially available vaccinations protect against the neurological variant. Indeed there is evidence that vaccinating actually makes the horse more vulnerable to this fatal complication, not less. The attenuated strain and high load versions do offer some protection against abortion in mares and mitigation of the severity of respiratory symptoms. The low antigen version only acts to minimise viral shedding when the animal does contract EHV.

My concern is that those who vaccinate opt for the cheaper low antigen version and then ignore early signs of disease because thier horse is vaccinated and they simply don't realise that they still catch the disease.

At the moment we rely on good bio security - even at shows. Exactly as you do to protect against strangles which is transmitted the same way. If there was an outbreak nearby perhaps my view would change. But I'm not sure it would give the current limits on the effectiveness.

This is really interesting to read, i never really looked into as i thought it was for breeding mares ect. When i asked the vet about it when i started her fluandtet she said in my situation she wouldnt vaccinate against it. At the time there was no EHV outbreaks.
I find it really hard to get through info as im quite dyslexic so thankyou for putting into an easy to read version for me.
Im in 2 minds about it as the pony in question has quite bad reactions to injections and shes usually poorly for a week minumum, but having recently seen a friend loose her horse to tetnus i know its for her own good in the long run for that set of jabs. No ive got to decide if she should have these ones.:confused:

Nicnac

Visit site
Interesting. I was recommended NOT to vaccinate in view of low risk (in Kent) and different strains :confused:

AHT article http://www.aht.org.uk/cms-display/science_herp.html state no vaccine provides complete protection anyway.

I guess my fear is that people will vaccinate, think they are safe and it will spread rather than us all using effective biosecurity to contain the risk of cross infection.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I agree with Shay.

Some years ago a brood mare in my care was vaccinated. Two other mares (all were in foal) were not. They had been bought at sales in Eire and it was to late to have them done.
An outbreak of EVH1 at the stud where they had gone to foal, occurred and the inoculated mare caught it and we lost both her and her foal. The other two were fine.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Id like to protect my horses but the advice is its not really worth is.

The vaccination won't protect against all strains plus the current one that is about is a superbug version!

Crackerz

Visit site
I'm local to the outbreaks and all local vet groups have said that vaccination in the face of the outbreak is not advised - too many strains!?

Not had mine done, we're on a very small yard away from any hunts