EHV1

Cowpony

Visit site
Crofton Manor have sadly announced that they have EHV1 and are recommending anybody who has been there in the last couple of weeks to monitor their horses carefully. Their vets have also offered advice on FB. Apparently some of the horses are showing the neurological symptoms so it sounds like a bad one.

Squeak

Visit site
Sparsholt have cancelled their imminent shows and Merrist Wood are asking people that have been to Crofton recently don't attend events there.

Fingers crossed it doesn't turn in to the equine flu situation that we had last year.

meleeka

Visit site
Sparsholt have cancelled their imminent shows and Merrist Wood are asking people that have been to Crofton recently don't attend events there.

Fingers crossed it doesn't turn in to the equine flu situation that we had last year.

I think responsible yards in the area are also on lockdown in case something that’s been to Crofton is still in the incubation period and infecting others.

meleeka

Visit site
The Southern Daily Echo newspaper today says 2 horses have died ( pts?)

It seems the first horse was pts on Monday. They still had clinics up until Tuesday so I presume they weren’t looking for EHV-1 until the second horse started showing symptoms. I think there are a further 8 infected with some not showing symptoms. I’m not surprised it’s going round there like wildfire. The stables are internal, with no solid walls at all so it’s just gone from one to the next.

Michen

Visit site
I’m confused about the vaccine advice. Is it correct that you should not vaccinate if horse may have been exposed, but do if not? Is there any benefit to vaccinating or is the strain immune?

meleeka

Visit site
I’m confused about the vaccine advice. Is it correct that you should not vaccinate if horse may have been exposed, but do if not? Is there any benefit to vaccinating or is the strain immune?
I don’t think there’s currently any way to tell if your horse has been exposed. There would be a small risk if your horse is stabled near a horse that’s been there, or from people coming and going in your yard. if Your horse couldn’t have come into any contact with anyone or thing that has come into contact at Crofton then you’d be ok to vaccinate. I think that’s why they are advising against currently, because we don’t know how far it’s spread already.

Michen

Visit site
I don’t think there’s currently any way to tell if your horse has been exposed. There would be a small risk if your horse is stabled near a horse that’s been there, or from people coming and going in your yard. if Your horse couldn’t have come into any contact with anyone or thing that has come into contact at Crofton then you’d be ok to vaccinate. I think that’s why they are advising against currently, because we don’t know how far it’s spread already.

thanks. Going to speak to my vets. Crofton are half an hour from us.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
As short a time as 24 hours but more likely to be 2 to 10 days. Problem is that horses can be carriers and shed the virus without anyone realising. I found a medical paper written last year that studied 26 horses that were infected as part of the study in a controlled environment and 2 were PTS within 9 days after contracting the neurological version so it’s pretty quick. I have also seen advice today from a Vets which states that for the vaccine to be effective at least 70% of your herd has to be injected so inoculating one horse on a yard isn’t going to to do much.

meleeka

Visit site
How long is the incubation period?

answered my own question - 2-10 days. So, any horse exposed within the incubation period of the horses showing signs on the 1st Jan would by now have shown sign themselves.

Unless they’ve been exposed to horses that have been exposed to the original horse in which case we won’t know for another week.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Unless they’ve been exposed to horses that have been exposed to the original horse in which case we won’t know for another week.

It's so worrying - I know a lot of people within a 5 mile radius of our place that regularly compete at Crofton.

I've also heard there is a strangles outbreak down on the Devon/Dorset - its a fair distance from us, but we all know these things travel so easily.

jehsb

Visit site
It's so worrying - I know a lot of people within a 5 mile radius of our place that regularly compete at Crofton.

I've also heard there is a strangles outbreak down on the Devon/Dorset - its a fair distance from us, but we all know these things travel so easily.

It is very worrying, I was competing there on the 5th January :(

meleeka

Visit site
This has just been posted by a local vet which may be helpful.

*** EHV VACCINATION ***

I have had several requests from my clients to vaccinate for EHV. If the horse has definitely not been to Crofton, or out competing anywhere, for the past few weeks, plus no horses on your yard have, then it is fine to go ahead with this, and I have a good supply of the vaccination in stock. If you have been out competing recently, especially to Crofton, then hold off for a couple of weeks to make sure your horse isn’t harbouring the virus.

This vaccination protects against the respiratory and abortive forms of EHV-1, but is not known to offer protection against the neurological form (EHM). It is very sensible to protect your horses against as many strains of EHV as possible, so I am recommending vaccination.

NB This is not included in your annual/six monthly flu and tet vaccinations.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I have a hay delivery tomorrow which I can't really put off. They have to drive through the field to get to the yard where I store my hay. Apart from that I don't really need anyone else to visit.

Its really going to effect freelancers and self employed people within the horsey community isn't it.

jehsb

Visit site
I have a hay delivery tomorrow which I can't really put off. They have to drive through the field to get to the yard where I store my hay. Apart from that I don't really need anyone else to visit.

Its really going to effect freelancers and self employed people within the horsey community isn't it.

it is, but unfortunately some people I have spoken to don't seem to understand that a short term shutdown is hopefully going to halt any spread, and therefore avoid further, longer disruption to people's lives and ability to make a living :rolleyes:

dorsetladette

Visit site
it is, but unfortunately some people I have spoken to don't seem to understand that a short term shutdown is hopefully going to halt any spread, and therefore avoid further, longer disruption to people's lives and ability to make a living :rolleyes:

I think its really good that places are taking this seriously and closing or postponing events. But I've also seen a few places just asking that people with horses that have attended Crofton not to attend and offering a refund. I'm cynical when it comes to the human race and I can't see that someone isn't going to think 'oh it won't hurt' and turn up anyway. How would that be policed?

Kingston Maurward are running their BD event this weekend and a few clinics are still being run locally too.

jehsb

Visit site
I think its really good that places are taking this seriously and closing or postponing events. But I've also seen a few places just asking that people with horses that have attended Crofton not to attend and offering a refund. I'm cynical when it comes to the human race and I can't see that someone isn't going to think 'oh it won't hurt' and turn up anyway. How would that be policed?

Kingston Maurward are running their BD event this weekend and a few clinics are still being run locally too.

Most of the venues round here started with asking people not to attend if they had been to Crofton but today most of them seem to be changing to cancelling everything, which is a good thing i think as you are right, i know a few people who would just carry on competing anyway without a thought to anyone else.

StableMum

Visit site
Are people still competing this weekend? We're entered at a venue 70 miles from Crofton and really don't know whether to go or not. I've been in contact them and they're happily going ahead. I've also spoken to a vet at Liphook who said the risk is very low. Just wondered what others are doing.

meleeka

Visit site
I have just postponed my physio and farrier as I would not expect them to come onto my yard until I am sure my horse is clear.

I think a lot of people are doing this. I’ve had my farrier today. I was the first appointment of the day and asked about his biosecurity. He’s asking anyone he visits if they’ve been to Crofton or been in contact with anything who has. He’s obviously cleaning his boots with disinfectant anyway and making sure his clothes have been washed every day, but he did say it’s up to people to be honest. I think it’s important to note that there are at least 30 horses in that barn and ‘only’ 10 have been affected so far so it’s probably not as aggressive as we fear. I believe all affected horses were stabled next to each other and no solid walls so nose to nose contact is inevitable.

I drove past Crofton yesterday and they have straw across gateways to disinfect vehicles. I know the vets are only calling in at the end of the day. All horses were blood tested yesterday, even those in a different part. I do wonder if the vets could have unwittingly spread it by going from horse to horse.