Eland Lodge novice (80cm) xc compared to a BE80?

viceversa

Visit site
Just wondered what people think to the Eland Lodge novice 80cm ODE in comparison to a BE80? Possibly Solihull or any others within the midlands?
Are BE80s generally a lot harder or not too much?
Looking online at course pics it seems a few of the novice fences at Eland are in the BE90.
Just pondering if BE80 would be a realistic aim for us next season :)
Thanks!

be positive

Visit site
I can't help you specifically with Eland but in general the BE80 courses are often more straightforward than unaff due to the restrictions on combinations etc, in unaff classes they can put in whatever they want to and will frequently use fences slightly over height, if it says approximately rather than not exceeding, which cannot happen at BE. The same with the SJ, I have seen some awful courses at unaff events, almost impossible turns, silly distances etc which will not be the case BE.
There should be no reason to not aim for BE, the 80s are usually very inviting, the trainers are there to give advice and you know the courses will be well built and should be a good introduction for you and your horse.

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks for that, really helpful :) eland is a BE venue (although starts at 90) so would have thought the course is pretty 'proper' compared to some unaffs. But i know what you mean, some of the unaff courses look very bizarre!

mil1212

Visit site
I think eland unaff could be tougher than the be. The 90cm hunter trial course covered some of the be100 fences and the 1m hunter trial had some novice fences which had me very :eek:! Their course pics tend to be on their website.

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks :) thats tallys with what i thought as the veg box, hanging log, boat, hay bale combination, sunken road etc from the 80cm hunter trial all appear to feature in their BE90!

Harry44

Visit site
I think elands fences are adjustable so although they may be the same fence as the 90 it will only be 80 cm. Solihull is usually straightforward but i don't think they run the 80 in August? I think Stafford 80 is a nice course, I'm hopefully doing that as my first.

Stormy123456

Visit site
I did Elands 80cm at their unaff. ODE in May and some of the XC was more than I expected for an 80. We had the veg box, and some were definitely over height. The 80cm unaff I did at Solihull was much smaller and softer.

These were my very green (think extremely, can we get near them type of greenness) 6 year olds first 2 events and think they put him in good stead for his first 90cm which is next week.

I would say there is no reason not to aim for BE80 - at least then you know what height your getting! ;) I did the unaffs so my guy could gain some experience before we hopefully get to BE next year (plus its cheaper).

Nicnac

Visit site
Don't know about Elands, but Chilham unaffiliated is much easier than their BE80. Daughter did both this year and quite a few of the BE80 fences were in the unaffiliated 90 class. Guess it depends on venue.

viceversa

Visit site
I think elands fences are adjustable so although they may be the same fence as the 90 it will only be 80 cm. Solihull is usually straightforward but i don't think they run the 80 in August? I think Stafford 80 is a nice course, I'm hopefully doing that as my first.

Ah, that may explain it partly then. Although I know some of the fences were definitely the same. No, it doesn't look like Solihull do 80 in Aug but they seem to have quite a bit of unaff xc and sj on so may try that. Will look into Stafford, thanks :)

I did Elands 80cm at their unaff. ODE in May and some of the XC was more than I expected for an 80. We had the veg box, and some were definitely over height. The 80cm unaff I did at Solihull was much smaller and softer.

These were my very green (think extremely, can we get near them type of greenness) 6 year olds first 2 events and think they put him in good stead for his first 90cm which is next week.

I would say there is no reason not to aim for BE80 - at least then you know what height your getting! ;) I did the unaffs so my guy could gain some experience before we hopefully get to BE next year (plus its cheaper).

Yeah I remember commenting on your post about that. It was odd as they used a couple of bigger options for the 80cm hunter trial than they did in the 80cm ODE! Good to know we should be ok to have a bash at Solihull then, I'm entered for the 80 ODE at Eland in July too. Where you doing your first 90? :)

Don't know about Elands, but Chilham unaffiliated is much easier than their BE80. Daughter did both this year and quite a few of the BE80 fences were in the unaffiliated 90 class. Guess it depends on venue.

Oh really! I don't know then, like you say I guess it varies between venues.

Thanks for the info guys :D

dark rider

Visit site
Elands unaffiliated 80cm is a lovely course and it very much of the same size as a BE80. It has some easy fences and some that are over height. Solihull BE80 is easier I would say, as is Draycott BE80 but Shelford's BE80 is harder.

If you can do Eland's 80cm you can do BE80.

I like it because it is run properly, and the dences are all built well and sited well.

Stormy123456

Visit site
Yeah I remember commenting on your post about that. It was odd as they used a couple of bigger options for the 80cm hunter trial than they did in the 80cm ODE! Good to know we should be ok to have a bash at Solihull then, I'm entered for the 80 ODE at Eland in July too. Where you doing your first 90? :)

I'm back to Solihull for the 90 at the RC area qualifiers on Sat - although only just realised its a qualifier.. so maybe it wont be such an ideal first 90 for him! All experience though. ;)

Good Luck at Eland, even if the courses are a little off height sometimes, I think it is such a lovely event - so well run! :)

viceversa

Visit site
Elands unaffiliated 80cm is a lovely course and it very much of the same size as a BE80. It has some easy fences and some that are over height. Solihull BE80 is easier I would say, as is Draycott BE80 but Shelford's BE80 is harder.

If you can do Eland's 80cm you can do BE80.

I like it because it is run properly, and the dences are all built well and sited well.

I agree, Eland is a lovely course :) Thanks for the info.

I'm back to Solihull for the 90 at the RC area qualifiers on Sat - although only just realised its a qualifier.. so maybe it wont be such an ideal first 90 for him! All experience though. ;)

Good Luck at Eland, even if the courses are a little off height sometimes, I think it is such a lovely event - so well run! :)

You'll be fine! At least he's been to the venue before :) Yes I love Eland too, they take such good care of the ground, and the place in general.

glitterfuzz

Visit site
I work at Eland and a lot of time is spent altering fences and swaping them over between events to make them the right height. EG veg boxes, we have 3 - an 80cm, 90cm and 100cm one but you may only see 2 out on the course at any one time, our 80cm course has never been sent over the 90cm jump. The same with the hanging logs, we have 4 of those! So although the photos may look the same, every fence is measured before evey event. We also add layers under fences to lift them so fences like the sheep corral are lifted 10cm for BE and lowered again for unaffiliated

You will find harder course at our uaffiliated events to try and make 4 different courses. We can use more combinations etc than in the BE event as they have strict rules, there are no rules for unaffiliated. If you can get round our unaffiliated 80cm course, you will find BE80 no problem as its very simple