Eland Lodge ODE report

Mickeymoo

Visit site
OH kindly entered me in the Eland ODE on his 23 year old cob Shiney aka The Wise One. This seemed like a good idea when we had talked about it.. I suppose the large glass of wine I was drinking at the time helped.. :rolleyes: Until I realised earlier this week that I had to do the dressage on grass. :eek: So, I hear you say. I have only done 1 test on Shiney on grass and he galloped off with me twice and I retired :eek:

So, got on for the dressage with not too much warming up time as the more warming up he does, the more excited he gets. :) :)Was just about to go in and I forgot the test.. yikes, think it was a mixture of nerves and old age. (sorry Old Git not trying to tread on your toes! ;))

Did a very forward test and he was very strong, but I managed to keep the accuracy (thank you Dark_Knight for drilling 'the importance of accuracy' into me :D:D:D).

Back on the trailer for an hour and time to sit in the sun.

Then, off to the jumping. Warmed up really nicely and he was very calm, think a mixture of dutch gag and enclosed arena. Again, I didn't warm up for too long and off I went. We jumped clear and Shiney jumped out of his skin. He leapt everything, after No7 the double I nearly fell off he jumped that big out of it. :eek:

Then it was a quick change for me, a quick dousing of water over Shiney as he had sweat dripping off his belly and we were off to the xc. I got there to learn there was 10 infront of me. So I went and found a tree to stand underneath out of the sun. Mrs Mozart came over to say hi, lovely to meet you. :D Then when there was 2 to go we went and popped a couple of jumps and we were off.

We leapt No1 and No2, tried to bugger off when he saw No3 the crocodile, but managed to jump it exactly where I didn't want to. Then we were off round the course leaping everything. Nearly fell off about 3 times as he was really jumping everything big, lol, but my self preservation got the better of me. I let him choose the pace as I didn't want to ask too much of him.

Results.. finished double clear and 40 dressage. I was 35 seconds over time and we finished 7th out of 35 entries. Not bad for a 23 year old show cob.

We have come home absolutely over the moon with him. We have had such a lovely day with our boy and have met lots of lovely people.

Shiney is having a weeks rest now.

Thanks for reading.. wine and nibbles to all. xx

Mickeymoo

Visit site
AR, thank you. I always love competing Shiney, although I class it as riding for someone else, so I think I should produce a result, its far more relaxing than competing Mick, I think I put myself under far too much pressure to win on Mick which sometimes takes the enjoyment out of the day.

Kat, yes, you will have to meet Shiney, he is such a sweetheart. When we got back to the trailer I washed him down and walked him round, then I took him to watch the xc. He stood munching grass watching the horses go out and come back in. I don't think he has ever done a ODE in his life bless. When I caught him this morning I said to him 'you're going to have the time of your life today' and I think he did.

Thank you MrsM. I love riding Shiney as he is so different to Mick. Shiney almost guides me along and teaches me, where with Mick I feel I really have to work for it.

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Thankyou Figjam, yes, its starting to remind me to remember the Fun Element of it all. :)

Ha ha AB, yes I think he saved me. My other comments were strong & hurried.. opps..

wellsat

Visit site
Well done, glad you both had fun. Lil doesn't like that crocodile either, its our nemesis. On the plus side its giving us a big motivation to move up to jumping the Novice course as then we won't have to do it any more.

Rosiefan

Visit site
Well done you and Shiney. I think I'd enjoy a bit of eventing after a lifetime of showing ;):D (no offence to showing peeps)

alwaystrying

New User
Visit site
Thanks MG, While he was watching I think he was dreaming of being 'and eventer' but his round body and stubby legs may cause a problem, and the fact he likes munching so much. :)

AD, we wont move Shiney up to novice as we think the mini is enough for him at his age. I do novice on Mick and its fine. Go for it. x

thank you Rosiefan. He hadn't done much for 10 years before we bought him (as a 19 year old) so we have almost given him a life. We try and do a bit of everything with him. I like showing him as we always get placed at county and I do enjoy a more relaxing sort of day. He has been hunting too which was an experience and a half for the husband.. haha.

thanks Diggerbez, we are going to run him again next year at Eland. Its a nice little course for him and it will give us plenty of time after the winter to get him fit.

thanks Royal, No, we aren't doing Moorgreen this year. Shiney is having a bit of a break now as he has been rather busy lately and needs some sleep and haylage. I wonder if he will dream about running round that xc course. :D:D

Thank you MardyMare, We just wanted him to enjoy himself, although I did worry about him collapsing after the xc - hence I put my horses health before a chance of a rosie. :D:D

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Aggh,, My colleage's been on my computer and not logged out..

Sorry guys am back to Mickeymoo now.. Reply above from Alwaystrying is from me. x

not trying to pull a fast one..;);)

Pidgeon

Visit site
Sorry only just found this lurking way back on page 5! Well done on coming 7th on the old boy :D hope he enjoys his week off it sounds like it is very well deserved :)

Mickeymoo

Visit site
thanks Pidge. Page 5 :eek: this forum does move fast.

Yes, Shiney is fit and well, thank God.. I think he knows he did well, he has his 'I'm Important' look on. :cool: