Elec Tape or Rope?

hobo

Visit site
I want to run an elec fence around the outside of arena as horses will be grazing next to it. Which is best rope or tape?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Personally I prefer tape as I know it will break before the horse does.With a good current through it though.

Same here, seen some nasty incidents with rope. Tape requires a bit more maintenance as it can stretch in the wind but worth it for the peace of mind IMO :)

maisie06

Visit site
I prefer rope, especially with disrespectful cob types, Luckily not had any problem with it. Tape takes too much maintenance in exposed, windy coastal areas.

JillA

Visit site
I found tape moves in the wind and the filaments break so it loses conductivity. I only use rope for the main line, then the thinner "string". Mine are so used to it they never go near, even strip grazing. So that, or, as above, bare wire. Presumably you are attaching to a solid fence so running through it or getting tangled won't be a problem

Auslander

Visit site
I use rope to keep them off post and rail, and tape for any field division. I don't mind if they go through tape, but I get very cross if they chew fencing, and rope gives off a better wallop! Wouldn't want a horse running through rope though

hobo

Visit site
So various likes and dislikes. I maybe will do rope just for the top rail of arena so they should not get caught up in it and hopefully it will not sag over time. I will stick with tape for all other area's.
Yes JA it will be attached to post and rails and is to stop any chomping or bottom rubbing, as one is a chomper and one is a sweetitch pony.

Auslander

Visit site
Nope and for me, once bitten... twice shy. I'm happy to see tape as a consumable having had one very near miss myself and seen other not so lucky endings :(

I've been lucky - had rope for a while across my field, and nothing got hurt - but I did find one of them with rope stuck between hoof and shoe. Thankfully he's a sensible sort, so waited patiently for me to run and get the wire cutters!

JillA

Visit site
It's like any fence - it has to be taut and well maintained. One of mine got caught in the "string" but it was entirely my fault - I think the rope and string are easier to keep tensioned than the tape and after all, you do need them to keep stock in

Goldenstar

Visit site
I will only use rope on temporary electric stakes
It's can be very very windy here and the tape was dangerous even with lots of maintainence .
I do build my fences to break though lots of gate catches and insulating tape rather the the proper fixers that you screw .

Casey76

Visit site
Having got a horse who has had injuries from stock fencing, 2in electric tape and 3/8in electric rope (all on the same leg! :eek: ), I'd say that I prefer rope.

Personally I find rope easier to handle, easier to tension and I end up with fewer nicks and cuts adjusting fencing than with tape.

Having said that, out school has a sleeper and 2in tape boundary; though the side which is next to a grazing field has a secondary boundary also of post and rope to prevent the horses getting too close to the school.

Wheels

Visit site
will this be attached to another fence or free standing? If it's going onto post and rail or similar to protect the fence then I use polywire, if it's free standing then tape

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I want to run an elec fence around the outside of arena as horses will be grazing next to it. Which is best rope or tape?

much prefer rope - had tape many years but it got brittle and hurt when my hands round it so I sold all my tape and got rope and much happier with it. It also does not get loose in the wind like tape does and takes less time putting up

HashRouge

Visit site
I use tape if I'm actually using it to form a fence line, but rope to run along the top of other fencing (i.e.) post and rail. I have a chronic crib biter so my fields usually have to have a line of electric rope along the top of any wooden fencing to stop him destroying it!

eriskaypony

Visit site
So various likes and dislikes. I maybe will do rope just for the top rail of arena so they should not get caught up in it and hopefully it will not sag over time. I will stick with tape for all other area's.
Yes JA it will be attached to post and rails and is to stop any chomping or bottom rubbing, as one is a chomper and one is a sweetitch pony.

If you are electrifying the rails of an arena to protect them rather than making a fence, then use bare wire or failing that, rope. Most of the pros and cons being raised relate to fences, but it does not sound like that is what you are doing so do not have to worry about visibility, tangling etc.