Electric fence question

Copperpot

Visit site
When putting a line of fencing do you just pass the tape through the holders on the plastic posts or wrap it round to keep it tight? I wrap it round but am thinking does this weaken the charge that goes through the fence?

Flora

Visit site
I wrap it round because if its windy, it tends to stay on better. Doesnt seem to affect the charge!

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
If I was using the shorter posts with thin (20mm) tape then yes I would wrap around once. I use the taller white posts with alternate driven in wood posts and thick 40mm tape so only thread through. It shouldn't affect the charge providing your circuit is build correctly! Try not to tie knots in the tape, use the little joiners/connectors you can buy.

Copperpot

Visit site
I may wrap it around every other one then. The start and finish points are the plastic insulator things screwed into wooden posts and I've used cable tries to tension it. I may loose these in case they aren't helping. My OH got a good zap off it the other day, but I just want to make sure it's as strong as can be. Thinking of adding a second earth stake as I've read that's important.

I have used all new tape too as my old stuff was full of knots!!! 😁

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Wrapping the tape around the plastic posts will not effect the charge but will tighten up the tape & stop it flapping around. Using all new tape is good, when you have to join it use a connector rather that knotting. When you knot you will not always get a good connection of all the metal strands in the tape. After a few knots you may well find that the charge doesn't get any further, this won't happen with connectors.

Copperpot

Visit site
I have bought some connectors for when I have to extend the paddock. My friends fence clicks quite loudly. Mine is silent which worried me til OH touched it and confirmed it def worked. I guess the tape is ok to touch cable ties as they are plastic same as the posts and insulators. Have cut all the branches off the hedge where end post is too, so nothing can touch the tape. And got a marine leisure battery for better power. Think that's most bases covered.

ribbons

Visit site
The clicking in your friends fence is because the current is shorting somewhere. A good fence with free current is silent.

Copperpot

Visit site
The clicking in your friends fence is because the current is shorting somewhere. A good fence with free current is silent.

Ah ok. That's great news then. Cos mine is totally silent except for the energiser clicking when it's on. I shall stop worrying about him escaping. Buy a new fence tester and give it a test every week just to be sure :)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I have a LOT of electric fencing (with 80+ horses to contain) run off 4 seperate electric units - and THE most vauable tool I have is THIS tester - http://www.countrystoredirect.com/acatalog/P36.-Hotline-Digital-Electric-Fence-Tester-P36.html

Most of the testers have an earth cord and you have to shove that in the ground to get a reading - this one is self earthing so it lives in my pocket and I do random tests every day - so if there's a problem, I usually find it befre the horses do. It tells me exactly how much voltage is on the fence so I can see immediately that there's a drop - then I can find the problem (usually a burnt wire) quickly. I'd worked through half a dozen different types before I found this one - and it is seriously good!

Copperpot

Visit site
I have a LOT of electric fencing (with 80+ horses to contain) run off 4 seperate electric units - and THE most vauable tool I have is THIS tester - http://www.countrystoredirect.com/acatalog/P36.-Hotline-Digital-Electric-Fence-Tester-P36.html

Most of the testers have an earth cord and you have to shove that in the ground to get a reading - this one is self earthing so it lives in my pocket and I do random tests every day - so if there's a problem, I usually find it befre the horses do. It tells me exactly how much voltage is on the fence so I can see immediately that there's a drop - then I can find the problem (usually a burnt wire) quickly. I'd worked through half a dozen different types before I found this one - and it is seriously good!

I may invest in one. Mines a cheap one and it's now broke! Horse in an escape artist and as soon as the fence has a weakness he is off, so important I find it first lol.