Electric fencing solar powered chargers yeh or nay

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
Our plug in car battery charger has died so we are on the lookout for a new charger (original was bought about 8 years ago for a tenner from Wilko's!) Before we buy another similar type charger (will probably be much more than a tenner now)I wondered if anyone was using a solar battery charger and if they found it worked successfully outdoors for electric fencing? As I have a back injury I thought I'd better consider this type of charger as it would save lugging the battery home each time to charge back up. Any thoughts or recommendations much appreciated.

spaniel

Visit site
I have a solar panel charger but charger is a bit of a misnomer. It wont charge up a flat battery. You need a fully charged battery to start off with and then attach the solar panel to it before you start to use it. It trickles power in so it will extend the life of your battery charge but wont replace you taking it home to give it a really good blast. It would mean you didnt have to do that so iften though.

I got mine on Ebay for about £12.

miss_bird

Visit site
i have a solar pannel charger found the same needed the battery fully charged first but lasted all spring and summer and in to autumn last year without the battery dying.
Also got mine on ebay best thing i ever brought saved lugging batteries around

TheEngineer

Visit site
Ditto, the previous. Most independent "solar panel chargers" will not charge a flat battery. But will keep a charged battery in top condition for a long time. Depending on the battery type. Many people use vehicle batteries, which are not designed to withstand the discharge levels found in fencing. Therefore, be aware of this before thinking you will save on the cost of a "leisure battery". A decent solar panel will however greatly increase battery life.