electric fencing

jewel

Visit site
I've just taken a lease out on 9 acres of grazing split into 6 fields but not one of them is secure no real fencing as such just crumbling hedges. So im going to secure a field at a time until its all fenced. It will be for 2 13.2hh,which at present are kept at 2 different yards so its going to be so much easier have them both together plus in long run its going to be loads cheaper aswell.
The land owners is letting me run electric from his garage to the fields, so im going to put wooden poles in with insulators on as that will be the cheapest option. Im going to use 5ft 6 stakes, how far into the ground do they need to be? what distance should be between the poles? Is tape or rope better? Im going to have 2 strands what height would you have them at?

until

eggs

Visit site
I personally wouldn't use electric fencing as a boundary fence but am happy to use it for dividing up paddocks. I have the fieldguard tape (think it is about two inches) and have two rows but my horses are all 16.2 plus.

When I replace my boundary fencing - currently either post and rail or barbed wire in front of a hedge I have been using proper horse stock fencing as it is much cheaper than p&r.