Electric fencing

Amlb

New User
Visit site
Hi can someone help please. Seeing up first electric fence and have a couple of questions I'm using electric rope fencing with poly poles.

1. Can I use one continuous length of rope for top and bottom ie. Run the top then loop down to lower rail so both end of the rope finish at same end.

2. This might sound stupid for too I secure the actual ends of the rope

I have everything I need.. I think, battery, energiser, earth stake. Getting a bit confused.

PurBee

Visit site
as above - also try to find a spot of ground for the earth stake thats damp/wet, rather than stony/dry…you want the earth stake plunged in deep for a good earth connection.

as mentioned, buy an electric fence tester gadget, theyre really cheap…very useful bit of kit…allows you to test if your knots/connections of joined rope are making good contact further down the line.

Depending on type of horse, at least 4k volts is required….an experienced escapee generally is put off by 8k volts!

If you have separate lines, the way to electrify them all is join them in 1 place with a piece of flexible smaller rope. You literally knot 1 separate piece to all your lines. 8mm rope can be hard to tie a small tight knot in, but the smaller twine with many steel threads running through it are great for tying knots in and connecting lines together. Ill add a picture to show you what i mean

PurBee

Visit site
Here’s what i mean - you can do this to all 3 or 4 strings at any point in the line, i happen to have this at my energiser as its closer to take a pic.
I only have the top 2 live as the bottom string is the height of my dog and dont want her getting zapped.

F70CD3E5-6B18-4BFB-889B-500DD1AD03AD.jpeg

PurBee

Visit site
Metal joiners work best as sometimes knots dont transmit the zap through, and the zap can arc at the knot and eventually burn through the wires, so knots need checking every so often to see if there’s burn marks. I have both as i have loads of electric fencing. Knots are reliable but im well versed now in tying them, but i do check them.

Metal joiners are safer as you can tighten them just enough to hold the lines together, but not too tight, so that if the fence is ever run into the joiners will break and allow you/animal easier time of freeing from the line.
Rope has a breaking strain of around 300-350kg and my horses have broken it before, so thats a good safety element, but for lighter animals, lightweight tape is sufficient with a lower breaking strain.

Lady Jane

Visit site
Advice from one who learnt the hard way - make sure your energiser is adequate for the length of fencing - if you double it back for the second strand thats x 2

RosBaig

New User
Visit site
Hi...In case you are doing not inquire how will you ever be beyond any doubt? The closed circle or circle is an satisfactory shape for the fence. In the event that the 'snap' you're refering to is the sum of stun the fence will convey it ought to be more noteworthy with a circle or closed circle. Keep in mind the ground framework is exceptionally vital to the conveyance of the stun, so take after energizer prerequisites as required in their informational.