Electrified spurs !

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Really !??
How on earth would this work in a competitive environment with numerous people watching and more to the point what would they achieve apart from a major reaction from said horse?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Absolutely horrifying that anyone ever thought of designing something like this let alone used them, and then had the balls to use them at a show. Totally insane IMO. The rider and all who knew should be banned from keeping any animal for life. The level of cruelty in the horse world never stops horrifying me :(

OP, I dont understand what the purpose is either - surely the horse would shoot forwards? Why would you want that for trying to jump cleanly??

Gingerwitch

Visit site

Gingerwitch

Visit site
So the FEI is investigating but I still cannot understand how these would work in a show jumping environment. Rodeo yes, racing perhaps, dressage only at the half pass ? but show jumping !?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
But I still don't get how this works unless god forbid a sistamatic "training" program was implemented behind closed doors.

As soon as I read the headline when it was among my Google news, I presumed that if it is true, some sort of desensitize training must have taken place at home.
But I'm another one who doesn't understand what perceived/imagined "benefits" anyone would get from using electrified spurs during show jumping.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I really hope that the FEI acts strongly and effectively on this matter.

“The FEI Legal Department formally informed American athlete Andy Kocher on June 29, 2020 that an investigation had been opened following accusations that he was using electric spurs, reported to the Integrity Unit of the equestrian community (ECIU) (an independent entity created to protect the principles of integrity in the equestrian community, editor's note) . The athlete was given an opportunity to respond to the allegations.

https://grandprix.info/fr/41238/Une_enquete_officiellement_ouverte_dans_laffaire_Kocher

e5aee99c.jpg

On these pictures taken during several competitions, we can see what would seem to be a cable under the pants or coming out of the sleeve, as well as what could be a push button on the hand. © Sportfot and Scoopdyga

https://grandprix.info/fr/41179/And...r_utilise_des_eperons_electriques_en_concours

AFB

Visit site
I thought his response if accurately quoted was arrogant to the extreme. Not once did he deny or acknowledge the pictures but pretty much said 'do you know who I am'. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Can you point me in the direction? I can't find a response (probably missing the obvious), interested in what the pondlife has to say!

Pippity

Visit site
Can you point me in the direction? I can't find a response (probably missing the obvious), interested in what the pondlife has to say!

From the Chronicle of the Horse article linked to upthread:

Kocher has yet to respond to the Chronicle’s request for an interview regarding the electrified spurs.

“It doesn’t mean anything to me,” Kocher told Grandprix.info. “I belong to three generations of horsemen; I have spent my life in stables; I am a breeder, and I have retired horses. I regularly participate in actions with associations saving equines so, I don’t like what you say, but what you have to say interests me, keep going.”

After seeing the photos, Kocher opted not to continue the conversation, although he later followed up in writing with this statement: “I love my horses and I take great care of them,” Kocher wrote to Grandprix.info in a follow-up conversation. “I refuse to speak to anyone who claims otherwise. My horses represent my whole life. Do you know where I come from?”

AFB

Visit site
From the Chronicle of the Horse article linked to upthread:

Kocher has yet to respond to the Chronicle’s request for an interview regarding the electrified spurs.

“It doesn’t mean anything to me,” Kocher told Grandprix.info. “I belong to three generations of horsemen; I have spent my life in stables; I am a breeder, and I have retired horses. I regularly participate in actions with associations saving equines so, I don’t like what you say, but what you have to say interests me, keep going.”

After seeing the photos, Kocher opted not to continue the conversation, although he later followed up in writing with this statement: “I love my horses and I take great care of them,” Kocher wrote to Grandprix.info in a follow-up conversation. “I refuse to speak to anyone who claims otherwise. My horses represent my whole life. Do you know where I come from?”

Thanks Pippity - I knew I'd be missing the obvious!

Hardly a protestation of innocence is it, more of an egotistical brag to me.

greenbean10

Visit site
Have not liked this man since that awful round at Hickstead. Sadly I think things like this are common in the SJ world. I was talking to a friend today about it (who has worked a number of yards) who was completely unsurprised. Said he used to regularly see things like this and worse used at the various yards worked at - big name show jumpers too.