Electrolytes

SK123

Visit site
I have been looking into electrolytes recently as I have pony club camp in a few weeks, so need to start introducing some shortly. I have used some before but can't remember which ones?!

What brands do people use that are effective/relatively affordable?

I have heard of people just using salt? Would a salt lick do the job?

Obviously, I need it to be effective as it will be 2 rides a day for a week so need to put back in what is put out,
Thanks for any suggestions!

ihatework

Visit site
For regular day to day and moderate competition you probably don’t need to spend out on commercial electrolytes, a mix of table salt and Lo-salt should be fine

ihatework

Visit site
Okay, Thank you!

Meant to say it doesn’t need to be 50:50, if you buy the cheap stuff and mix one small pot of table with one small pot of lo-salt, you will feed a mix of approx 70% table salt which is fine.

SK123

Visit site
Meant to say it doesn’t need to be 50:50, if you buy the cheap stuff and mix one small pot of table with one small pot of lo-salt, you will feed a mix of approx 70% table salt which is fine.
Ah okay that sounds good! And affordable!!! Many thanks again!

ihatework

Visit site
Ah okay that sounds good! And affordable!!! Many thanks again!

Yes - I always fed commercial stuff to anything working hard but it cost a fortune and I chatted to my vet having done some research and changed my strategy. TBH I generally wouldn’t feed extra salt unless it was very hot or a horse getting sweaty most days.

SK123

Visit site
Salt is very good for all sorts of things from hooves to head shaking. I feed 10gms of salt per 100gms of bodyweight and dont bother with any other sort of electrolyte as current research shows its not necessary
Interesting! Thank you

Visit site
With the racehorses we only feed electrolytes on work days - the day the do a good hard bit of work, and in their dinner when they come home from racing. The odd horse gets in most days but that is 1/100. We did mix our own for a while which was table salt, lo-salt, limestone powder and a dash of bicarbonate of soda but I can't remember how much of each when into it.

A dash of salt and Lo-salt will probably do you just fine or add apple juice to your ponies water to make sure they drink plenty.

SK123

Visit site
With the racehorses we only feed electrolytes on work days - the day the do a good hard bit of work, and in their dinner when they come home from racing. The odd horse gets in most days but that is 1/100. We did mix our own for a while which was table salt, lo-salt, limestone powder and a dash of bicarbonate of soda but I can't remember how much of each when into it.

A dash of salt and Lo-salt will probably do you just fine or add apple juice to your ponies water to make sure they drink plenty.
Good idea about the Apple juice! We always use it for away shows to make sure they get used to the different water! Thank you