Electrolytes

Fieldlife

Visit site
The best one available is Science Supplements Complete Electrolytes. They’re microencapsulated so are the most bio-available and absorbed by the correct part of the digestive system. ?

Thanks,

I think fed at 1.5 scoops a day would cost £0.78 a day

Fed at hard work / hot weather 3 scoops a day would be £1.54 a day.

Based on buying 2kg bag at £36.95

So in normal month £23.60 a month.

In a very hot month £47.20 a month.

Starzaan

Visit site
Thanks,

I think fed at 1.5 scoops a day would cost £0.78 a day

Fed at hard work / hot weather 3 scoops a day would be £1.54 a day.

Based on buying 2kg bag at £36.95

So in normal month £23.60 a month.

In a very hot month £47.20 a month.
Yep, that’s about right. I buy the 5kg tubs though.
I’d rather go without and ensure I’m doing the absolute best for my horses than feed something I know isn’t as effective.

Connemara24

Visit site
I've never fed mine salt, but he always had access to a salt lick, and if he hasn't drunk as much as I like, I put some fibre nuggets in a bucket and fill it up with warm water, he loves it!

Starzaan

Visit site
Great posts, Starzaan.
That’s kind of you, thank you. I always hesitate when posting about nutrition and rehab. I know I know what I’m talking about, but I always seem to get jumped on by people who don’t want to hear it.
So much of the equestrian community is against learning something new, and attacks new or different suggestions or ideas. But, I will never suggest things I don’t know to be true or effective, because I don’t want to mislead people.

Starzaan

Visit site
Interestingly, Saracen also do a slow release electrolytes, "Restore SR"

They do, and it’s ok, but not as effective as the Science Supplements Complete Electrolytes. It isn’t quite the right balance of minerals so isn’t as easily bio-available.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
That’s kind of you, thank you. I always hesitate when posting about nutrition and rehab. I know I know what I’m talking about, but I always seem to get jumped on by people who don’t want to hear it.
So much of the equestrian community is against learning something new, and attacks new or different suggestions or ideas. But, I will never suggest things I don’t know to be true or effective, because I don’t want to mislead people.
Im glad of your advice ?

Starzaan

Visit site
Im glad of your advice ?
Thats really kind of you to say, thank you. There’s always more to learn though so always worth doing more research. I love learning, and love finding out new ways to help horses and improve the care I’m offering. For me, it’s the thing that makes being in this industry fun even after so many years. Fixing broken ponies for people, and learning new ways to do better for them. ?

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Thats really kind of you to say, thank you. There’s always more to learn though so always worth doing more research. I love learning, and love finding out new ways to help horses and improve the care I’m offering. For me, it’s the thing that makes being in this industry fun even after so many years. Fixing broken ponies for people, and learning new ways to do better for them. ?
Its one thing ive never needed really electrolytes but with that scorching weather they were great, its always nice to get others advice too, we never know everything lol ? it’s impossible

Fieldlife

Visit site
Yep, that’s about right. I buy the 5kg tubs though.
I’d rather go without and ensure I’m doing the absolute best for my horses than feed something I know isn’t as effective.

Can I ask if you’ve got any links to data or research that encapsulated electrolytes are better than other electrolytes and salt.

And how representative a view amongst vets / top level v
Competition horses / equine nutritionists only feeding complete encapsulated electrolytes is / feeding salt well mixed into a wet feed is harmful to the stomach?

I’ve fed 25 ml of salt twice a day all year round, and added liquid electrolytes in summer as a top up for a number of years.

Mixed well into a mash type feed.

This is supported by my vet, a number of qualified equine nutritionists that I follow and a number of endurance competition support articles.

My current approach costs me circa £80 a horse a year.

Changing to just science supplements electrolytes fed at baseline for 8.5 months and hot / harder for 3.5 months, bought in 10kg amounts would cost £350 a year.

I’m not saying you aren’t right but I’d love to better understand the supporting evidence as it’s quite a big increase in cost. I can only see David Marlin’s view point online.

Thank you.

Starzaan

Visit site
Can I ask if you’ve got any links to data or research that encapsulated electrolytes are better than other electrolytes and salt.

And how representative a view amongst vets / top level v
Competition horses / equine nutritionists only feeding complete encapsulated electrolytes is / feeding salt well mixed into a wet feed is harmful to the stomach?

I’ve fed 25 ml of salt twice a day all year round, and added liquid electrolytes in summer as a top up for a number of years.

Mixed well into a mash type feed.

This is supported by my vet, a number of qualified equine nutritionists that I follow and a number of endurance competition support articles.

My current approach costs me circa £80 a horse a year.

Changing to just science supplements electrolytes fed at baseline for 8.5 months and hot / harder for 3.5 months, bought in 10kg amounts would cost £350 a year.

I’m not saying you aren’t right but I’d love to better understand the supporting evidence as it’s quite a big increase in cost. I can only see David Marlin’s view point online.

Thank you.
Of course, I shall dig around. I’m sure I have something. If not, I’d happily send you the details of the vet I work with regarding nutrition. ?

Fieldlife

Visit site
I can clearly see the argument for trying to guard the electrolytes until they reach the small intestine as it's proven that salts can make ulcers worse eg https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16295925/

This study is for giving salt solution directly to endurance horse. No one’s disputing plain salt is corrosive.

I think though dissolving table salt and electrolytes in a bucket of mash and grass nuts and mixing well protects from the salt irritating the gut lining. As salt is all dissolved across a bucket of feed.

TheMule

Visit site
This study is for giving salt solution directly to endurance horse. No one’s disputing plain salt is corrosive.

I think though dissolving table salt and electrolytes in a bucket of mash and grass nuts and mixing well protects from the salt irritating the gut lining. As salt is all dissolved across a bucket of feed.

Did you read the abstract?

Fieldlife

Visit site
Did you read the abstract?

Yes. It clearly says the are dissolving the electrolytes in 60ml water and orally syringing it into horses, every hour for 8 hours.

Very different impact on gut / stomach mucosa from dissolving salt and electrolytes in 7-10 litres worth of soaked grass nuts.

The study is meaningless in terms of assessing the impact of giving electrolytes dissolved in a decent volume of fibre based feed. It is looking at oral syringing of electrolytes in a small amount of water.

- - - -

Abstract

Reasons for performing study: Electrolyte supplementation is common in horses during endurance competitions, but the effect on the gastric mucosa is unknown.

Hypothesis: Repeated oral administration of hypertonic electrolyte solution is associated with exacerbation of gastric ulcers in mature horses.

Methods: The study design was a randomised, blinded, crossover trial. Fourteen horses were divided randomly into equal groups and administered either 60 ml water (placebo) or 56.7 g commercial electrolyte supplement mixed with 60 ml water by dose syringe orally once an hour for 8 h. The minimum concentration of individual constituent electrolytes/28.35 g dry commercial product used was: sodium (5528 mg); chloride (11,886 mg); potassium (3657 mg); calcium (754 mg); and magnesium (153 mg). Gastric lesions were scored prior to and after oral treatments, and analysis of variance procedures were then performed.

Results: Administration of hypertonic electrolytes resulted in a significant increase in mean ulcer number (P = 0.0174) and severity (P = 0.0006) scores in the nonglandular stomach. Mean ulcer number score was 3.6 and mean ulcer severity score 2.7 after hypertonic electrolyte treatment.

Conclusions: Oral hypertonic electrolyte administration to horses in this model was associated with exacerbation of gastric ulcers.

Potential relevance: Our findings suggest that one schedule of electrolyte supplementation used commonly in endurance horses may be harmful to the gastric mucosa.