Elementary debut- giraffes, grins and frillies!!

JustKickOn

Visit site
So Saturday was elementary debut day.

I've been getting so fed up of not doing very well at prelim as it feels like ky's focus goes and she gets bored, that we would up our game and go straight in at the deep end.
The snow came down and we thought the comp might be cancelled, but the wind cleared it away and an email from swallowfield confirmed it would be running. Cue a bit of a panic as the snow had prevented us from riding for 4 days!!

Saturday morning was spent attempting to get the muddy little one clean, unsuccessfully. And plaiting up rather quickly! On the lorry and we trundled over to swallowfield.

Ky nipped me when I went to put her bridle on, which she never normally does, and I could tell it was going to be 'one of those days'...

Our warm up for novice 30 didn't go well. I either had no trot and dying from the leg, or too much trot, rushing and struggling to stop. :rolleyes: The well known giraffe breeding in her made an appearance, and I did not feel confident going in at all.

A very kind man who was stewarding read for us (thanks!!).
We proceeded down the centre line in a wobbly backwards trot, rubbish half circles and a reins snatch for the G&R. All got 6s, so must have felt worse than it looked! We got 7s for the medium trot which she powered through and then a dire halt at A saw us shuffled backwards about 5 feet and no real immobility, gaining us a well deserved 3. Couple more 7s and a 5 followed, and a 4 for the first CLTT as the giraffe said hello!! Then another few 7s, a 6, a 5 and another uni ish centre line and halt for a 5. Judges comment of "a little tense today. Carefully ridden". Surprisingly finished on 56.15% and 4th place out of 4, rather pleased with the mark as we haven't done novice for a while and it felt horrid to ride!!

Back into the warm up and I worked the poor mare rather hard, as the giraffe popped out a few too many times in the previous test. She felt a lot better, but a bit dead to my leg, she sharpened up with a couple of flicks and in hindsight I should have put my spurs on as she is much more respectful with them.

In we went for elementary 44, again wobbled down the centre line, shuffled left, back, right, back, forward, left and I gave up and saluted mid quarter swing!! Off we went in a lovely collected trot to get 7s and 6s for a while down the sheet. She did a cracking medium trot but pulled the marks down with another shuffle in the halt at C. Canter transition saw the giraffe try to poke out, 4. More 7s the. A 4, 3, 5 for the last three moves. The Simpsons change of leg got the 3, canter to sliding halt is not a move required for dressage.... Judges comment of "Willing horse, needs to be more forwards and supple, and learn to stand!!!!!". Naughty mare for shuffling when she usually plants her feet down lovely and still and square. Must have felt the rider nerves!!
Pulled it out he bag and came equal 2nd with 58.4%. So success in our first elementary and we have also qualified for trailblazer second rounds!

Lots of pony pats and grins. So despite the giraffe moves, it was a good day overall.

Clever pony, onwards and upwards we go!! :D

L :)

JustKickOn

Visit site
Lots more schooling to refine everything and hopefully the 3s, 4s and 5s will be 6s, 7s, 8s and maybe more!!
A lot more positive and much prefer the more comes tests in comparison to the prelims!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Next planned one is 27th April, but hopefully sometime before then too for more practice in a competition environment.
Really looking forward to getting out again now :)

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Yay yay :D have you entered 2nd rounds in nov and elem? I'm having a crisis as you know with slug man but have my back up Brian to hand for the 2nd rounds ;) :D xxxx

JustKickOn

Visit site
Need to send off for my qualification card for elem! Is Dee going to give prelim another shot with Bri?
Also need a photographer, bring Jonathan along ;)

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
Nahh she isn't, I'm just gonna do nov on him :) bahhh you'll be lucky (as will I) if my darling Jonathan comes! He is the least supportive human being ever and then wonders why I switch off every time he talks about cars :D