Elephant bedding

JaneyB

Visit site
No, i'm not completely mad!!! Isn't there a new bedding, recyclable, made out of miscanthus? called elephant bedding?

Anyone tried it, if so what are your thoughts and where do you get it from?

sunny123

Visit site
I use it! I really like it because it rots down well and doesnt smell like straw. However, mum is abit tight so she doesnt let me have a really deep bed, so from that point of veiw straw is better. I also dont like how 'stick like' it is, dont know how to describe it but it is quite rough, abit like loads of tiny sticks that are soft in the centre to absorb the wet. It is really easy to muck out when you are taking out the wet, because it doesnt clump together and get really heavy like shavings does, i have found that it isnt quite as absorbant though. My new horse is really messy and churns up her bed, but i have found that with her it is best to deep litter it becuase then the bottom stays solid and when she churns it the top layer seems to dry out, this doesnt work with the other horses though, dont really know why, but theirs just gets really wet. I get it from Mole Valley, but i have just got the number of someone who grows it so might try and get it direct from them in bulk because this would be cheaper and they are local. Hope that helped!!!