Elephant-itus!

CJ1

Visit site
Woodys come down with a bad attack of cellulitis in a hind leg. Altho it is nasty looking, he managed to stumble out the stable twice yesterday for mouthfuls of grass for 10 mins. But do geldings play the whole 'man-pain' thing like humans?
laugh.gif

Hes on 10 days on Norodine and Bute, i left him picking at dinner last night and eyeing me up suspiciously whenever i fed him carrots!

Lets hope things are slightly better this afternoon when i go see him and maybe he'll want to go out tomorrow for a quiet ponder round the field.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Taken from an equine website

Horses with cellulitis experience swelling and heat in an infected leg. They will show signs of pain and lameness and often have a 102- to 104-degree fever. The fever is important to differentiate cellulitis from a run-of-the-mill lameness. Horses with severe infections will go off feed and show signs of serious discomfort. Their legs become extremely sensitive with inflamed blood vessels (called phlebitis).

Although cellulitis isn’t a mud-related disorder, mud compromises the skin’s protective barriers against bacteria and keeps wounds soft and open. If you see signs of cellulitis, a vet call is necessary. Your veterinarian will most likely prescribe a course of antibiotics and instruct you to wrap the affected leg. If left untreated, the condition can last for months and wind up being very costly to cure.

Shouldn't the horse also be out as much as possible rather than confined??

CJ1

Visit site
Yep, want to get him out as soon as possible but he really wasnt up to it this morning either. Hes having walks in-hand for today and fingers crossed he'll be able to potter to the field tomorrow. Thankfully its about 15 paces from his stable and dry. I may even see if i can turn him out for an hour this evening if the rest of the herd are in or due in.

custard

Visit site
I had cellutis in my arm following a blood test from a ham fisted nurse! I can confirm its genuienely flippin painful give him a hug for me and lots of love!